• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming a new budgie

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I'm sure you have gotten some excellent advise here. I have a rescue budgie. He was at least a year old or more when i got him and very scared. While he is my daughters bird now, we had him for several months before he went to live with her. Then she moved back home for 6 months. I'd just like to add, don't rush it. If he is happily flying around and chirping and playing that's what you want. The other will come in time. The only time you should force capture your bird is when it is for his own good (i.e. emergency). Other than that let him get used to you at his own pace. The more you try and handle him when he is not ready, the longer its is going to take to for him to bond with you. In the meantime, be all crazy happy around him. Sing, dance, whistle and talk to him, everyday. He will eventually get curious. While our rescue, gary is not a cuddlier, he will step up, land on you, and sit on your shoulder. Oh and he talks, sings, and whistles like a mad man. Maybe someday he will let us scratch him on his head, but even if that day never comes we just let him be who he is. Good luck.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Thank you all! I have the Harrison's extra fine and I'm mixing it with Volkmans super parakeet food that I got when I bought him. He may be picking out what he likes but at least he's not throwing anything except empty shells to the bottom of the cage - my boy's a tidy eater! I will try the trick of sprinkling millet on chopped fresh veggies. I will also follow your other recommendations with talking to him and placement of the hands. I find it encouraging that you have tamed pet store birds. I am attaching a picture of his cage so you can see the set up. (Any interior decorators?) His wings have not been clipped. I am slowly exchanging the dowel perches for natural ones. I used to have a dowel perch as the third perch down but replaced that. Its been 2 weeks. He has jumped down a couple of times but hasn't stayed and he used to perch on the third dowel alot. My poor baby is still so skittish of everything! View attachment 319304
Harrison is a good pellet but may be too hard on his kidney, and no to offend anyone but volkman parakeet food is not a good choice. If i can suggest goldenfeast: Australian Blend | Goldenfeast Direct or this one: Petite Hookbill Legume Blend | Goldenfeast Direct Of course this is just my opinion. If you still want a pellet, I would go with birdtricks or tops. But you may have to grind them up.

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
Thanks to all, I appreciate your advice. I'll try your suggestions and see what works.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Maybe someday he will let us scratch him on his head, but even if that day never comes we just let him be who he is.
It's funny but I have tamed many budgies and none of them really liked head or neck scratches. Occasionally when they had pin feathers but that's it. My cockatiels however would sit there all day and let me scritch them...lol.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Thank you! Her name is Sweetie so that works for a boy or girl. I was hoping for a boy because I heard they are easier to train but I love my little girl to pieces.
I used to believe that too but I have had 2 hens that trained easier than all my boys. The little girl I have now (who is feisty and curious) tamed in about 3 weeks. Completely tamed. She is also a little acrobat and talks. So much for stereotypes...lol Here are pics of Sam at 6 weeks and now at 7 months. IMG_20190604_182432.jpg IMG_20191106_134436.jpg

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Sweetie is beautiful!

As stated, even though “they” say girls are harder to tame it can be done. It just takes spending the time, and making sure that time is always seen as a good experience for your birb.
I think Sweeties cere looks a lot like Jojo’s. We initially thought Jo was a boy but these days it seems we have a little princess :joyful: Here’s a pic of Jo so you can see her cere (also from a pet store!) Pay no mind to the broccoli face lol

Attachments

SmallFeather

Walking the driveway
Sweetie looks like such a, well, sweetie! Do you think you are going to get her a budgie friend when she is a little more comfortable around you? I find having a buddy of the same species can do wonders in making especially small birds feel safe. I tried keeping a lone rescue budgie once, but he was just so terrified all the time when alone. I ended up bringing him back to my vet because I couldn't get another budgie and I didn't think that was fair to him. When he went back in a cage with multiple budgies, he immediately acted so much calmer and happier! Just my two cents. :)

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Sweetie looks like such a, well, sweetie! Do you think you are going to get her a budgie friend when she is a little more comfortable around you? I find having a buddy of the same species can do wonders in making especially small birds feel safe. I tried keeping a lone rescue budgie once, but he was just so terrified all the time when alone. I ended up bringing him back to my vet because I couldn't get another budgie and I didn't think that was fair to him. When he went back in a cage with multiple budgies, he immediately acted so much calmer and happier! Just my two cents. :)
I'm not in anyway disagreeing with you but as you said this was a rescue bird. Did you have anyway of knowing what he had been through prior to you taking him? Have you had other budgies? They are flock animals, I agree, however they can and do come to see their owners as "their flock". This is no easy commitment to keep a sole budgie. Firstly not all budgies will adapt to being alone. Some are just timid to the human hand and nothing you can do or say will change that. Secondly you must spend time with them. No, not an hour after work or a couple of hours on the weekend. You must be present every day. Most of the day. Third they must fly free. You must adapt your house to accomodate this. Lastly, your budgie should have an outgoing personality (yes, they have their own unique personality). Does not matter whether girl or boy. They need to be outgoing. Look for the one in the petstore or breeders that is young and playing. Jumping around and having a great time on their own. This is the bird that will be open to human bonding. Getting off my soapbox now...

SmallFeather

Walking the driveway
@Lori D Pert
Boyd the budgie belonged to a little girl who no longer wanted him before being surrendered and put up for adoption. Before that he was a pet store budgie. I wholeheartedly agree with everything you are saying, but I still think most birds do best with another bird around, even if it isn't in the same cage. Birds are flock animals, and while us as bird owners are absolutely an essential part of our birds' flock, we aren't always around all day due to work and daily life. In the wild, birds always have their flock around them. Having someone to chatter with and even preen can do so much for a bird's mentality. It's natural to them to want to have others like them around. It makes them feel safe.