• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming 5 budgies?

Otheria

Moving in
Will it be possible to tame 5? I got them on saturday, the 2 girls seem a bit more skittish than the 3 boys. I have just spent some time beside the cage talking to them to let them settle in. Can I just put millet in my hand and stick it in the cage, see if they will come closer and closer? Is it possible to manage to tame 5? Or some of them at least.. :)

Scorpi0

Sprinting down the street
Its usually harder to tame budgies when there is more than one, because they prefer to stay with their flock.
But if they are still babies then you probably have a better chance. Offer them food and treats out of your hand as much as u can. Try holding them and giving them scritces. The more hands on you are with them, the less they will be afraid of you as they get older.

Otheria

Moving in
3 of them I think is 4 months, one is 6 months the last one is 7 years. I will try my best, they are still young besides the one thank you.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
You might not get the same intimate trust-building opportunities as you would training a budgie one on one, but there is an upside to how safe they feel in a flock. Capitalize on whichever budgie (if any) has the boldest behavior and reward them for doing brave things (eating from your hand, etc.). The other budgies will notice who is getting a high-value reward like millet. Try to do food-motivated training when they are really hungry, too (like first thing in the morning).

Routine and consistency are key. Feeding from your hand is a good place to start!

And remember, if you want to encourage them to come out, you need to have some very safe, appealing places to perch. Budgies won't leave a safe environment for one that seems less safe. Why would they fly into a big, unknown room with nothing that looks like a tree branch to perch on? Some people project human ideas about "freedom" onto birds, but what a tiny prey animal really wants is SAFETY! I have fed my budgies outside the cage (I have perches mounted to the outside) as a start.

Otheria

Moving in
Thank you so much for your answer GreenThing, very informative. I will make them a "tree" with plenty of perches and other places safe to land for them before I let them out. Also I will follow your advice, I think I know wich one is the bravest. Time will tell if I'm right

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Thank you so much for your answer GreenThing, very informative. I will make them a "tree" with plenty of perches and other places safe to land for them before I let them out. Also I will follow your advice, I think I know wich one is the bravest. Time will tell if I'm right
Budgies accept new things very slowly, so don't give up! Reward them for each little thing, like sitting in the doorway of their cage. The less scary you can make the action of moving toward a new place the better. One thing I did was put the perch right in front of their cage and move it away little by little-- it will help to attach a little forage toy or bowl for snacks, they will learn to revisit places that they associate with food.

grafton

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Grafton
Budgies accept new things very slowly, so don't give up! Reward them for each little thing, like sitting in the doorway of their cage. The less scary you can make the action of moving toward a new place the better. One thing I did was put the perch right in front of their cage and move it away little by little-- it will help to attach a little forage toy or bowl for snacks, they will learn to revisit places that they associate with food.
I agree and one new thing they accept very slowly is ...people. I'd slow down and would let them settle in for a week or two. During that time, sit by the cage and speak softly to them. Some folks read to them. Don't stare at them.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like reading & holding millet. A budgie will likely decide to be your buddy. Marzipan is my buddy, though he’s friends with everyone. He’ll brave anything for millet. He’s one of 10 & has never been a solo budgie with me.

Otheria

Moving in
I agree and one new thing they accept very slowly is ...people. I'd slow down and would let them settle in for a week or two. During that time, sit by the cage and speak softly to them. Some folks read to them. Don't stare at them.
I have been doing just that, sitting there and chat with them. And I always put some millet in the cage when I'm next to them. Today, I just tried to leave the millet in my hand. The 3 boys were brave and decided to eat from my hand one of them even sat on my hand a little while and ate millet. I have hope!