• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Talking

razer

Meeting neighbors
Talking to my birds since they were born 3 months ago. Is it to early for them to learn? I think they are girls because they hang upside down and spread their wings.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Talking to my birds since they were born 3 months ago. Is it to early for them to learn? I think they are girls because they hang upside down and spread their wings.
What types of birds are they? Are they tamed? Are they bonded? What are you trying to teach them to say? We need a little more information.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have cockatiels? Female cockatiels don't usually learn to talk. They sound female from their behaviour! We'd love to see some pics! ;):)

mak

I think they are girls because they hang upside down and spread their wings.
Male tiels also do this. I think it's just how they like stretching their wings.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Some birds never learn to talk. Other birds pick up words quickly. It is very individualized.

Generally, if you want the best chance at getting a "talker" you want to start young and have just one bird. Spend lots of time together and work on developing a strong bond. Talk frequently and be consistent. For best results, try to associate particular words or phrases with a trigger - like saying "dinner time" when putting food into the bowl or "want to come out?" when opening the cage door. Eventually, the bird might start to say "dinner time" when its bowl is empty and it wants you to fill it.

Even if your bird doesn't learn to mimic your speech, it might learn to understand your verbalizations, which can be useful for training purposes.