• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Talking Lovebirds

noelletulip

Meeting neighbors
Do any of you have lovebirds that talk?
For the record, I never cared whether or not Tulip talked, but I can tell that he's trying. It would be super cute if he would say even one or two random things, so since it seems like he's trying, I'd like to encourage him (without doing any serious "training"). Does anyone have any tips or experience?

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Happynme

Snerky says what sounds like "c'mere" ("come here"), but that's about it. :) But boy does she say it a lot. She also imitates the tones I use when I call her name, squeaks like a cockatiel, growls, and laughs evilly. Maybe it's a good thing that she doesn't seem to know any more words!

Do you leave on the tv or radio for your birdy? Repeat the same phrases frequently?

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Gem likes to say "pretty bird" quite a bit. She's a vain little bigger. She also says "give me a kiss", "whatcha doing?" and "super bird" along with a handful of sound imitations or mixing up words together.

Gem likes to laugh evilly too, usually when she's being naughty - like flying over to chomp on an ear before making a hasty retreat or stealing a hair elastic or something.

Repetition is key. You'll probably find that their enunciation gets better as you repeat to them as well. I praise Gem when she attempts to speak and repeat her call in an excited voice.

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
@Happynme

Snerky says what sounds like "c'mere" ("come here"), but that's about it. :) But boy does she say it a lot. She also imitates the tones I use when I call her name, squeaks like a cockatiel, growls, and laughs evilly. Maybe it's a good thing that she doesn't seem to know any more words!

Do you leave on the tv or radio for your birdy? Repeat the same phrases frequently?
I leave tv on if there is sports she loves sports but thats about it, she also likes salsa music and jazz bands lol

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Happy talks a storm
Most of it i can understand,
To date she says these words and combos of them together

Bebe
Baby
Kiss kiss
Nite nite
Goodbye
Hi
Go
Love you
Good
Bird
Silly
Sweet
Naughty
No
Yes
Bite
Yeah
Whatcha
Come here
Where ya (going)
Shi@ (bad word)
Pretty
Gime
Piggy
Ha ha

There is probably a few im missing, but thats the majority

Last edited:

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Peanut can say a few phrases too but her teeny voice is so high pitched it honestly sounds more like someone letting air out of a balloon in syllables than actual words most of the time. Still, I love her and once she started I've encouraged her to continue. She actually didn't really start mimicking words until she was around 10 years old, though given how hard she is to understand I do suspect she'd been saying 'Good morning' longer and once I picked up on it and started encouraging her she added new phrases.

The ones I've identified based on number of syllables and context are:
Tweet tweet!
Good morning
Baby bird
I love you

Sometimes she will also make a random amount of laughter, usually when being extra naughty.

There are a few more I can't really place, including one she says quite often that sounds like 'wee oo' that might just be 'love you' without the 'I.'
I almost always say 'I love you' though, so if she dropped the I, she did that on her own.
I've been trying to teach her to 'meep' for years but she seems to have no inclination to pick up single words.

noelletulip

Meeting neighbors
Thanks guys! I love hearing all of your stories. Tulip loves listening to Drake but I don't leave that on for him when I'm not home because I shudder to think of what he'd learn to say :laughin: I do leave the radio etc on for him though. When I say "I love you," he has a certain whistle that he always responds with and doesn't use at any other time, and that's so darn cute I'm more than satisfied if that's all he does.

JulieAnn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie Panasik
Ive had lovebirds a long time and was never blessed with one that talked.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ive had lovebirds a long time and was never blessed with one that talked.
I don't think it's all that common. Girls may be more prone to attempting to talk/talking? Not sure.

Pat Blackmon

Moving in
Real Name
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
My LOVEY is trying to mimic me when I am calling the cat. It is pretty understandable by me.

Bebe, here kitty kitty kitty.

Petro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Petro
What age does this start (if it does)

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I don't think Gracie talks but I have feeling the syllable chirps we hear are her talking. I do know she does say good night or night night when it's time for bed.

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Happy talks a storm
Most of it i can understand,
To date she says these words and combos of them together

Bebe
Baby
Kiss kiss
Nite nite
Goodbye
Hi
Go
Love you
Good
Bird
Silly
Sweet
Naughty
No
Yes
Bite
Yeah
Whatcha
Come here
Where ya (going)
Shi@ (bad word)
Pretty
Gime
Piggy
Ha ha

There is probably a few im missing, but thats the majority

How old is happy, when did she start doing this?

L

Lynn96

I believe female lovebirds are more likely to talk. I have a friend with a little girl and she talks up a storm. Started saying her name first then other things.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I believe female lovebirds are more likely to talk. I have a friend with a little girl and she talks up a storm. Started saying her name first then other things.
I would definitely agree on this. My boys have shown no sign of trying to talk. Neut, my other girl, tries to imitate Snerky's "c'mere". (Funny thing, I watched a video today from the first week I had Snerky, and what was I saying? "Come here. Come here, baby girl!" But my "come here" wasn't clearly enunciated - more blurred together. Lol, no wonder she so insistently says "c'mere"! :laughin:

Merovech

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael
Jellybean regularly says her (his?) own name, in different contexts. When she lands on my head, I regularly say "Hey, Jellybean!" she's taken to saying that in addition to her own name. She most often just says "Jellybean!" though. Here's a sound fragment for those interested. Perhaps I'm imagining it, and she's not even saying it. Here's a link. Vocaroo | Voice message

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Jellybean regularly says her (his?) own name, in different contexts. When she lands on my head, I regularly say "Hey, Jellybean!" she's taken to saying that in addition to her own name. She most often just says "Jellybean!" though. Here's a sound fragment for those interested. Perhaps I'm imagining it, and she's not even saying it. Here's a link. Vocaroo | Voice message
Sounds like jellybean to me ! Cute lil voice she has!