• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Talking in context?

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Do any of your Senegals or other pois do this?
It's hard to understand all of Oggie's "words" and it's very likely I'm just insane as all get out.. but I feel like I had a conversation with him this morning.

(Treat in hand) Oggie are you a good boy?
"I am"
Here you go good boy
"Thank you"
Oh you dropped it. You want to try this one?
"OK"

But "I am" in squeaky bird sounds very similar to "over here" or "come here" or "oh yeah" and "ok" definitely sounds like "oggie" so I'm probably filling in the blanks myself :roflmao:

Karearea

Meeting neighbors
Pepper (meyer's) doesn't say anything, but she does mimic cockatiels! I suspect she's been with them a lot before. It's super cute :laugh:

Kate&Pigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kate
I absolutely do this!
My sennie Sam likes to sit on my knee when I'm on the phone and constantly says "hello darling... yes... Okay... Alright then..." etc and he does the same when I talk to him. He always seems to give the appropriate response for the conversation, which makes me wonder if he's picking up on my expression or intonation - like if my voice goes up at the end of the sentence (like a question might) has he learned to say 'yes' because then I'll give him a toy or a treat? He laughs when I do. He blows raspberries when he doesn't want to do something, like he's just passed gas. And then he says "excuse me" he's either bilingual or I'm a very predictable human!

Henwyn

Checking out the neighborhood
My 25 year old senegal chose to learn the word "maybe" all by himself and gets an incredible amount of mileage out of it. It sounds skeptical most of the time, but my favorite is when you ask him a direct question, like "Did you chew this up?" and he responds coyly with "Maybe". Other words used well in context include "Sweet!" and a shocked "Whaaat?". If two people are fighting he can go into a long monologue (literally for a minute or more) which has all the intonation of very wise speech, like he's settling the fight, but without any intelligible words. I find that my sennie's grasp on English is very good and he can understand conversations around him and follow directions, so I sometimes wonder if his ability to enunciate is his limiter and he knows a terrifying # of words. I wish he would say "Thank you", but I believe it's foreign to his nature. :)

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
You know, after more time with Oggie - I'm pretty sure he WAS using context.
If anyone uses sarcasm around him he gives a snarky little chuckle. He definitely knows how to change his tone for the situation, even if he is using the same words - one way it is a question and another way it is a demand.
And he also does that unintelligible muttering thing! Can't make out words, but the tone is always appropriate to the moment. He seems to do it when he is scolding or insulting someone lol.