• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Talk me down..

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m a bit like that right now in that I’m considering cockatiels, conures, but also keep returning to that 40 yo B&G at the rescue. I won’t be able to visit until the first weekend in November :) I’m not really in a hurry and likely wouldn’t bring any bird home until after Christmas.

It is fun to dream, though, right?

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I’m a bit like that right now in that I’m considering cockatiels, conures, but also keep returning to that 40 yo B&G at the rescue. I won’t be able to visit until the first weekend in November :) I’m not really in a hurry and likely wouldn’t bring any bird home until after Christmas.

It is fun to dream, though, right?
Yeah :)
I'm "ready" now (cage, funds, etc).. but I could always be MORE ready. So it's not bad to wait for the perfect situation.
Just painful lol.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I was in a rescue the other day helping out and there was this beautiful lutino cockatiel. unfortunately commonsense chimed in and I knew I hadn't done my research so it would be an impulse buy which I advocate like crazy against. She was sooo cute tho...

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Guys.. I have another .. more serious problem.

I know it seems like I'm bouncing all over the place (pionus, blue crown, amazon, timneh, goffins?). But you know why I'm okay with any one of them.

I tell myself a baby amazon, cockatoo, or grey would be bad news. Puberty is rough. I definitely could handle it, but why do it?

The blue crown is smaller than I really want but more readily available than any of the others.
The pionus.. even the two breeders I have found says theirs only occasionally produce a clutch.
The rescues still haven't gotten back to me on applications i put in months ago.

And then today I made my biweekly stop at the closer bird store.
I've been there many times since I saw the BH pionus, but never saw anyone else who called to me. I held a cherry head conure. I held a yellow quaker.
And then I heard "whatcha doin?"

20201017_135648.jpg

He is 4 months old. He flinched when some other people walked by his cage. The guy said he's a little hand shy because kids come in and poke at him.
He opened the cage for me.
Little guy grabbed my finger in his beak, pulled my hand down, and stepped up on to it.

My bf wants him.

I had to force myself to put him down. I said I am NOT walking out with a bird on impulse (especially especially a baby 'too) even if it is one I've looked into and considered before.. but I asked if I could come back and visit and the guy said of course.

Please discuss for me :p

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Haha honestly reading your profile and posts made me look into Jardines! But they seem even scarcer than the pionus
Yes they are definitely not very common

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Haha honestly reading your profile and posts made me look into Jardines! But they seem even scarcer than the pionus
And remember, not all Jardines are like Ripley... there´s only one of him, and Shawna has him ;)

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm definitely refreshing my reading on bare eyed 'toos today.
I would love a cuddle bird.
He's also already used to being out of his cage only in the morning and evening, and plays by himself during the day.

I dont like the pellets they use. Pretty bird? Never heard of them and they seem to be mostly corn and wheat.
Store guy avoided my question about abundance weaning vs "force" weaning, just saying he hasnt had formula in 3 weeks.
Also his "health guarantee" is only 48 hours, which is laughable. Though he says he does test for pbfd, etc.

I've left a phone message with my vet to see if she has ever seen ppl ha e problems with his birds.
I've also tried to reach out to the budgies breeder to see if she has heard of him.

Lots of people praise him on the local facebook groups but who knows how well they treat their own birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Most pellets are corn and wheat to be fair ;) Remember that birds are primarily vegetarians and grains are much more usable forms of food for them than they are for cats and dogs :)

Ripley only eats Zupreem Fruity and Pretty Bird pellets currently.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Most pellets are corn and wheat to be fair ;) Remember that birds are primarily vegetarians and grains are much more usable forms of food for them than they are for cats and dogs :)

Ripley only eats Zupreem Fruity and Pretty Bird pellets currently.
I feed zupreem to the budgies. It at least has some other stuff.
I feel much better if you use pretty bird! I'd just never heard of them at all and was trying to compare the ingredients to our zupreem :)

I heard back from the budgies breeder already and she said she knows the guy and he does a good job with his birds (though obviously he is more retail oriented).

I'll wait to see if the vet has anything to say..but wow it would be amazing to have a baby to work with by christmas!

I've never considered bare eyed 'toos terribly attractive for birds, but ugly tends to grow on me hard lol.
I AM generally a more macabre themed person..

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m rattling my brain trying to think who has a little corella that I can tag...
@expressmailtome do you know any active members?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Unfortunately no.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I know the powder could be a thing with the budgies though. Thinking about how I could make that safe while I wait for my vets opinion (she is closed till tomorrow)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I also use Pretty Bird (species specific) pellets in Burt’s mix of pellets. He loves them.

Corellas are lovely little companions! Good luck finalising your decision :)

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I just asked him to tell me before he sells the bird to anyone else.
I'll go back to see him again tomorrow.

Unfortunately I'm not expecting a good opinion from my vet.. the store owner asked me who I use and then admitted that she doesn't like him because she runs a rescue and he is retail. But I hope she can be objective about whether his birds tend to have issues.
I'm torn on what I will do based on her opinion but we'll see.

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
It might be helpful for you to write down all the pros and cons of each choice. I find that really helps me to organize my thoughts, I too can be a little all over the place with my ideas. It’s nice to write it out because you can look back at what you wrote when your emotions start to kick in. It’s also nice to see the pros and cons side by side. i know you said there are traits to all the species that you really like but not one species has all the traits you want in one. I might take some time to really think about what trait is the most important to you long term. Good luck!