• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taking steps backwards >.<

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
The Kakariki I’ve taken in has gone from general distrust of me, to full aggression. Today, I had to put on a sweatshirt to give him fresh food and water - The second my arm was in the cage, he went into attack mode.

Here’s what I’ve been doing:
Separate room from Tteok for quarantine (blood work comes back Monday from the vet, but overall he appears healthy).
Sit next to cage and talk to him for an hour at a time, a few times a day.
Avoiding direct eye contact.
Offer treats - Previously, and I mean as of last night, I could hold a millet spray or a snow pea pod in my finger tips, and he’d nibble on it. Today, I can’t even open the cage door. He sees my hand moving towards the cage, and he’s charging me, trying to reach through the cage to bite.

I don’t know what changed between last night and this morning. I didn’t do anything different than what I’ve been doing all week, and have kept to the same schedule. I’m less concerned about the biting - I’ve been bitten by bigger, meaner things - but I’m very concerned about how stressed he appears to be. I don’t know what to do for him:(

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Can you find a way to feed him without putting your hand in the cage for now until he sees you as non-threatening?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Can you find a way to feed him without putting your hand in the cage for now until he sees you as non-threatening?
Unfortunately not. The only way to get the food and water bowls is to reach in

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have a couple of female lovebirds that were similar to this, and now only do it when eggs are about. Investing in a large cage with feeder doors is key. The bigger the cage, the less trouble you´ll face as you don´t have to get as close.
Look into target training to get him up to a perch out of the way while you go into his cage.

The only way to get the food and water bowls is to reach in
What about on the back of the door? If you attach a bowl on the back of the door, when you open it, the bowl is now out of the cage.

Do you have a photo of the cage?

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Other than putting him on a stand or perch outside the cage so you can put food and water in I really don't know. Maybe a tbar would work. At least you wouldn't get bit, but if you've only had him a short time the stick may appear threatening to him. Hopefully others with more experience with that type of bird can offer a solution.
Good luck :)

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I have a couple of female lovebirds that were similar to this, and now only do it when eggs are about. Investing in a large cage with feeder doors is key. The bigger the cage, the less trouble you´ll face as you don´t have to get as close.
Look into target training to get him up to a perch out of the way while you go into his cage.

What about on the back of the door? If you attach a bowl on the back of the door, when you open it, the bowl is now out of the cage.

Do you have a photo of the cage?
I’m unsure how to target train him when he doesn’t let me get near him, to the point of no longer even accepting treats. I keep trying to upload a photo of the cage, but my internet is down (hooray, Comcast) and it won’t load. It’s a large cage, I hadn’t thought to put a bowl on the door - It seems obvious now. However there’s only one door, and I would have to have them directly over top each other, as far as food and water bowls, which I think would end up being a problem.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Other than putting him on a stand or perch outside the cage so you can put food and water in I really don't know. Maybe a tbar would work. At least you wouldn't get bit, but if you've only had him a short time the stick may appear threatening to him. Hopefully others with more experience with that type of bird can offer a solution.
Good luck :)
I’ve been trying to hype myself up about taking a bite - Even though I’ve been bitten by worse, it’s certainly not something I’d prefer :roflmao: It’s not a very *big* beak, but it’s certainly a pointy one! I hadn’t wanted to try to use a stick, I had the same thought you did that it might seem threatening.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Did you get the blood test results you were waiting for?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Did you get the blood test results you were waiting for?
Yeah - everything is good. He’s completely healthy, just a buttmunch