• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taking parrots out in strollers and carriers like the packo-bird,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No it is not for me for a couple of reasons... I don't want to draw attention to my parrots and I don't like people I don't know trying to touch them. I also don't like the attention it brings me. My parrots get scared being out of their element so I don't want to bring on any added stress to them. They love being in my backyard for sun that I don't think it is necessary to add stress to them by taking them out and about with strangers gawking at them, something they don't care for and by doing that to them I think it would be cruel of me.
I can understand wanting to protect your parrots from strangers when you know that would only stress them out.:)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
No it is not for me for a couple of reasons... I don't want to draw attention to my parrots and I don't like people I don't know trying to touch them. I also don't like the attention it brings me. My parrots get scared being out of their element so I don't want to bring on any added stress to them. They love being in my backyard for sun that I don't think it is necessary to add stress to them by taking them out and about with strangers gawking at them, something they don't care for and by doing that to them I think it would be cruel of me.
I really like how you know your parrots well and how what might be a good thing for someone else would be the opposite for you/them. Good point to remember. :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Merlie says that when you start pushing your birdies around in a stroller, you've truly become the crazy bird lady!;) I'd probably do it if I could afford the carriage...I'm told Kishie would look cute in one! HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Saemma, I'm not sure, I would use the stroller.;) One reason, I am very nervous about taking him out is the Hawks that live so close by.I know, it wont ever happen with him in a harness.A stroller..... well maybe when I start losing my faculties:lol:

Tomsde

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tom Santomartino
If I had a African Gray or Too I'd consider it for taking them around the campground--I would not want to take them out in my neighborhood though. There are no sidewalks so it isn't safe. I also don't want to draw attention to my birds or take the chance of being mugged while walking around with them. Our FIDS are too high strung for that--I don't think they would enjoy it. I am leaving on vacation to camp on Friday and will set up the little screen house, so on nice days I can take them out to the screen house and let them get some fresh air and sunshine. Our campsite is tucked in a low foot traffic area, so we have a lot of privacy there and there aren't many people around during the week.

Julsiebean

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Julie
None of my birds now would enjoy that, at all. My GCC loves to car ride and be out and about on my shoulder. Maybe my 'zon will :)

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I used to take Lola on walks on her harness, but I really understand where Nikki is coming from. Whereas Lola loved it, I didn't love all the attention she got and the constant flooding of kids and adults who tried to touch her and "get her to talk." Now we sit on the balcony or in the yard where only my neighbors (who know her) can come by and interact with her; I've taught their kids very well not to touch but to observe. She does however love being sprayed with a spray bottle when it's hot out, so I let the kids do that and they absolutely love it. I like exposing her to new people and new situations, but only when it is safe to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.