• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taking my conure outside

Shirley Pino

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Shirley
I have a 4 year old conure. My ultimate dream would be to take him everywhere with me and have him sit sensibly on my shoulder and stay there. I would also love to teach him to free fly (but I am so afraid of predatory birds getting to him). My boy is recall trained, and station trained. Although at times he doesn't listen. I have tried harness training with him various times but have failed miserably. I know its something that takes time, and I have watched many videos on it. But when introduced to something new, his first instinct is to attack it, even if it is not touching him. I have never ever tried to force him into the harness, I simply hold it infront of him with a treat and he attacks it. I don't find the videos very helpful, because the birds on there are already extremely well trained, and don't show how to desensitize a naughty hyperactive bird to a harness. So I've given up with the harness training altogether. But as I said, I would still love for him to experience the outside world without a harness, but without the fear of him getting spooked and flying away. I often put his cage outside to desensitize him to the sights, sounds and smells. But I am so so scared of physically getting him out of his cage incase I lose him.

People with smaller breed birds, I would love your advice. Thank you kindly

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would also like to be able to have my dog outside with a leash. But he runs, and it is not safe for him or others to do that.

Sometimes being responsible is a balance between our desires and safety.

I personally would not be comfortable having my own birds outside without a harness, carrier, or cage.

Have you considered a backpack carrier?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)

Branch

Meeting neighbors
Since it is your ultimate dream to take your parrot out and let him sit on your shoulder the whole time, there are some things to consider.
1. How comfortable do you think he is with you? Does he try to fly to you when you leave the room or does he try to escape from you often?
2. How confident are you that your parrot will fly back to you on command even if there is an interesting object he is curious about?
3. This really depends on where you live, but, how confident are you that no predator is going to attempt to attack your bird?

Once you've considered those questions, depending on your answer, I can give you a few tips. I have a bird that I take outside without a harness, but I don't go near trees or really far from my house door for fear of him flying away. I'm confident he will return to me (eventually), however, I am not confident that no predators will attack him in that time, so overall I think harness training is the best option.

However, I know you are having trouble with it, and I can tell you the same thing I did with my parrot. First, take their favorite food and put it right in front of their face; of course, they will immediately try to take it and eat it. However, just in range of his sight, you will dangle the harness, but make sure it's far away enough that your bird does not attack it. This might take days, weeks, or even months but over time you can slowly scootch the harness closer and closer.

I own a GCC that acts very similar to yours, but over time with the method, I was able to eventually get him so desensitized that I could put the harness on him without any struggle or issues.

TheBirds

Sprinting down the street
The birdie pouch is neat, it seems a safer way of spending time with your bird outside. What about investing in a structure outdoors in the yard, like a simple aviary?