• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taking in a Quaker on a seed diet

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I was perusing Craigslist (like an idiot), and saw an ad by someone in a rough spot and needing to get their bird into a good home ASAP.

So I messaged them (like an idiot), and will be picking up a three year old presumed male Quaker. Because I’m dumb and a sucker.

The owner has been very ill, and their dad has taken over care of the bird, but apparently isn’t doing the best care, and aside from lack of out of cage time, he’s been on a seed-only diet.

Here’s my question - I know with other animals, like dogs for example, they will eat a new food before they’ll starve themselves to illness/death. I’ve had to recommend to owners to do this before (ex: owner was feeding dog human food, like burgers, bacon, cookies, etc [we’ll skim over the fact that it was crazy the dog hadn’t died from pancreatitis] and was absolutely *flummoxed* that her dog wouldn’t eat dog food. Imagine that. It was made clear to her to STOP feeding the dog anything other than kibble - No slow transition, just cold turkey - and the dog would eat when he got hungry enough), because most animals will eat something they don’t like because it’s better than starvation.

Would a bird do the same, or is it going to have to be a transition? The primary seed in the diet is sunflower, which is why I ask, knowing that I’m about to take on a potentially fluffachub of a bird.

Edit to add - It would be a mix of flavors of Zupreem pellets.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Congratulations @ Craigslist is filled with parrots of all situations needing homes as frankly rescues are few and far between ....and oh lordy does my heart ache for all the quakers found there in my area...

Birds will starve themselves rather than switch. So you need to be very careful. I recommend getting a digital kitchen scale and weigh your new one as soon as you get home and every morning until diet is switched and eaten. Then weekly for life as best practices. Do not allow anything more than a3%- 5% body mass loss during transition. If the bird us already under wright don't allow more than 3% body mass loss. My math....lol can be questioned! But I think this is how you calculate. If your new one started at 110 grams and lost 6 grams too 104 grams
6 ÷110 = 0.054 x 100 = 5.4% loss of body mass

The good news is quakers are often great eaters and willing to try new stuff especially if you share model or other parrots model eating the new stuff. So offer original diet. Offer your preferred stuff in different dishes, and go a head and offer veggies in every creative way you can.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Oh congratulations :bounce6: hope everything works out for you can’t wait to see pics of your new baby:heart:

indie was on an all seed diet when I got her I put a bowl of seeds and a bowl of pellets to start with the pellets were in main bowl near water seeds bowl further away from perches toys etc king of so she had to look for them a few days of that then mixed both in main bowl slowly taking out the seeds then put seeds in foraging toys and foraging tray at bottom of cage gave seeds as treats when out of cage she now eats pellets

I don’t actually know if they would Just eat if hungry or not

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Congratulations @ Craigslist is filled with parrots of all situations needing homes as frankly rescues are few and far between ....and oh lordy does my heart ache for all the quakers found there in my area...

Birds will starve themselves rather than switch. So you need to be very careful. I recommend getting a digital kitchen scale and weigh your new one as soon as you get home and every morning until diet is switched and eaten. Then weekly for life as best practices. Do not allow anything more than a3%- 5% body mass loss during transition. If the bird us already under wright don't allow more than 3% body mass loss. My math....lol can be questioned! But I think this is how you calculate. If your new one started at 110 grams and lost 6 grams too 104 grams
6 ÷110 = 0.054 x 100 = 5.4% loss of body mass

The good news is quakers are often great eaters and willing to try new stuff especially if you share model or other parrots model eating the new stuff. So offer original diet. Offer your preferred stuff in different dishes, and go a head and offer veggies in every creative way you can.
I have a kitchen scale (I bake a lot!) so that’s not too hard, aside from trying to get a bird to hold still for a second.

If his primary seed in the mix is sunflower, I’m willing to bet he’s probably a chunk. Plus, don’t quakers tend to be chubs anyway? I have a couple of photos of him, but it’s so hard to tell via pic if he’s fat or if he’s just fluffed (because I swear they’re always fluffed).

Oddly enough in my area there are more conures than anything. They’re all rehomed for $500+. Quakers seem to be mostly posted by breeders - rehoming for them is few and far between. A few budgies sprinkled on here and there, and very few cockatiels. But conures? Tons.

The rehoming fee for this little dude is only $20, but she had a massive number of questions for me before being ok with my taking him, which I appreciate. I like people wanting to make sure whomever is taking their pet is prepared.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I have a kitchen scale (I bake a lot!) so that’s not too hard, aside from trying to get a bird to hold still for a second.

If his primary seed in the mix is sunflower, I’m willing to bet he’s probably a chunk. Plus, don’t quakers tend to be chubs anyway? I have a couple of photos of him, but it’s so hard to tell via pic if he’s fat or if he’s just fluffed (because I swear they’re always fluffed).

Oddly enough in my area there are more conures than anything. They’re all rehomed for $500+. Quakers seem to be mostly posted by breeders - rehoming for them is few and far between. A few budgies sprinkled on here and there, and very few cockatiels. But conures? Tons.

The rehoming fee for this little dude is only $20, but she had a massive number of questions for me before being ok with my taking him, which I appreciate. I like people wanting to make sure whomever is taking their pet is prepared.
when are you getting him ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds can and will die before eating something they don't recognize as food. In the wild they learn from their flock what is safe to eat. The bird who experiments with new stuff is taking a risk.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I know he´s young, but if he´s been on an all sunflower seed diet since weaning I would definitely get bloodwork done to get a clearer picture of his health.

The rehoming fee for this little dude is only $20
Only 20 to give to the previous owner, but the total cost will be so much more once you add up new foods, cage, toys, vet trip, vet tests.

I´m curious how you will be able to quarantine this new bird away from your birds and your cousins bird. Hopefully you have a separate room on the other side of the house or something for him.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I have never had chunky quakers. The ones I've taken in have been normal to a little under. Remember they have a blocky body build.

Even my old girl on nearly 100% sunflower and peanut diet was slightly light. She did indeed have liver issues tho , black beak edges black edges feathers plus was mutilation of feet and slight plucking.

Believe it or not within in minutes of being home I offered broccoli and she chowed it all down then tried thawed frozen peas the next day. But after those two was a long haul to get on romaine and other veggies. Took to pumpkin seeds ( go light on those ) and other seeds pretty quickly and sunflower are very rare treats now I don't do peanuts . Pellets was sampling in a few weeks .

Excited for you.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Congratulations! Now your signature will be accurate without 'appropriating' your cousin's quaker! :roflmao:

Cats can also starve rather than eat what they don't want. I'd not risk it with any species, including dogs. Just not worth the risk. :)

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Someone on here told me to do this a long time ago. Can't remember who it was like 4 years ago, but thank you it has always worked.

When I first get a bird on a seed diet I start with nutriberries right away. I put a small layer of seed with a little bit of crushed up pellets mixed into the seed on the bottom and a layer of nutriberries in the middle and pellets on top. I slowly phase out everything except the pellets as they start to eat them. This is how I switched my current 2 quakers as well. Good luck to you!! It's not always easy switching birds over, they can be stubborn. ;):p

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I really want a conure. Where are you that there are tons?
VA/NC area! If you’re nearby , I can inundate you with links lmao

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Too bad! I'm currently RV'ing in New Mexico! However, we are currently looking at homes for sale in West Virginia!

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Congrats! Any pics of the new birb? I'd suggest offering anything new/healthy that you want to add to his diet in the morning when he's most hungry and then giving him what's he's been eating later in the day. Besides the risk of starving, he won't need the added stress of something he's never seen put in the food bowl.