• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taking care of an old and sick bird

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
The weight loss came so rapidly. He is eating well, but it looks like he keeps losing. I think he is well under 70g now. I am very sad to see my little buddy so thin. I love him so much!
Once again, if someone can point to me pain killer for birdies, I would like to have it here (or is this something that I should ask a vet?)
I'm not familiar with any pain meds that aren't prescribed. @Hankmacaw ?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
the standard pain med for birds is metacam, you vet will tell you the dosage based on weight.
if you have your own celebrex around for your own arthritis you can make up your own solution of that.
celebrex actually works better with birds metabolism than metacam.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Welcome to AA, and I'm so sorry your little bird isn't doing well. It's so hard when our birds get old.
:sadhug2:

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I see pain meds are prescription only. I will call the vet and ask about it. I sure do not want him to be in pain.
How do I know if he is in pain? He does not seem to be in pain, but I don't know.

I am grateful that I am able to spend quality time with him. He knows I love him, and he is letting me know he loves me.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You could try offering some handfeeding formula with a little peanut butter mixed in if he likes that.

For actual pain meds, a vet would have to provide them. There are some natural remedies that can possibly help a little. Willow bark is a natural source of aspirin, and is considered a bird-safe wood; when my budgie Pippin had a tumor on his chest and I was worried he might be in pain, I offered some willow branches and he did nibble on them. Whether or not he did it to help with pain I don't know, but at least it was something. I used the thin, new, greenish twigs that have very tender bark... just wove a few together to get a suitable perch size.
There are also many herbs and other foods that have anti-inflamatory propoerties that are bird-safe and should in theory help with pain a little bit (turmeric, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, ect.).

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you.
Last night, I fixed "Green Rice." Put carrot, kale, and garlic in a food processor and stir fried with brown rice and egg. Put a little bit of Dandelion tea and Harrison enzyme. He liked it a lot. I've tried oatmeal (both regular and steel cut kind), grits, and pasta, but he did not like those. He seems to prefer rice. He actually gets quite excited in the morning when I am in kitchen fixing his food.

Just got Milk Thistle extract from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Answe..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1EECKFFAMTX959EDD5XQ). I put on his rice, but wondering if I should give strait to his mouth. It does not taste good, though.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Tastes like caca and is sticky as all get-out.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
One of myQuakers, Loofa, is on it. The stuff pours as slowly as molasses and could be used as glue as well as tasting awful (I licked my finger s to unstick them). :depressed: :wtf:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
@sunnysmom every time i try to find the senior berries I can never find them. do you have a link by chance?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
One of myQuakers, Loofa, is on it. The stuff pours as slowly as molasses and could be used as glue as well as tasting awful (I licked my finger s to unstick them). :depressed: :wtf:
Ahem, my young vet tech let me know it works wonders for hangovers....but it is absolutely awful.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Ahem, my young vet tech let me know it works wonders for hangovers....but it is absolutely awful.
After tasting the stuff, I think I'd prefer to stick with the hangover ... plus how much would you have to drink? :blink: :wtf::wtf:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Lol I can just imagine how nasty that stuff tastes :hehe:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@sunnysmom every time i try to find the senior berries I can never find them. do you have a link by chance?

I would get them from My Safe Bird Store when they had them. Unfortunately, it seemed like they were often out of stock. So I would then order them from Amazon. It seems like Amazon always has them.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
After tasting the stuff, I think I'd prefer to stick with the hangover ... plus how much would you have to drink? :blink: :wtf::wtf:
I know, right!

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Lol I will keep that in mind. I ordered some this morning with a bird bath and some food dishes for the fids.

So this nasty stuff is used for what exactly besides peeling paint and making babies better?