• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taking care of an old and sick bird

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi I am new to the site, but not new to parrots. My VIPs (very important parrots) are 1 cockatiel (“Cherry” male. b.1994), 1 Panama amazon (“Kukulkan” male b. 2004) and 2 WB Caiques (“Loki” female, b. 2003 and “Puck” female b. 2006). I had them all these years.

You see my cockatiel is over 21 years old. About 3 weeks ago, I noticed his droppings were looking strange ---- larger and really pale green, almost white. I did not notice anything else, but I took him to a vet, even though I knew it could be the he was getting old. The vet did not find any usual bacteria, but he weighed only 72g on that day. The vet said it could be cancer (in that case, nothing can be done). Considering the fact that he is old and quite underweight, I decided not to pursue any aggressive treatment or blood test.

My amazing creature is enjoying extra time with his mommy. He rests a lot, but his voice is strong. His appetite is good ---- he eats his pellets, spray millet (he is not eating regular white millet anymore), and he is totally excited to get “people” food that I give (rice, egg, veggies). This was a bird who never wanted much of people food before! I am giving him digestive enzyme, as suggested by the vet. Yet, I think he keeps losing his weight. Now he is so visibly thin. Sometimes, he throws up.

His demeanor also changed. He always enjoyed good head-scratch, but he was not the most interactive bird. He was somewhat cage bound and I had to trick him to come out of cage oftentimes so that I can put him in another cage so that he can be in the same room as others. Now he is super-affectionate. He’s rather sit on me and rest. Luckily, I can work from home a lot (quiet and sedentary kind of work). He is sitting on me as I write this, and grinding his beak.

I want to make sure he is comfortable and happy, given the situation. He is an amazing fighter. Any suggestions for comfort food or any other suggestions or insight to take care of old and sick bird will be appreciated.

Thank you.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It sounds as if what you're doing is right for him. You're accommodating him and trying to make him as happy and comfortable as he can be from what I'm reading. Not bird related, but when a cat I had developed an aggressive form of cancer that the vet said would be hard, if not impossible, to fight I'd decided to keep her as comfortable as possible for as long as possible. Squawk also became more cuddly as her health declined, I think it's a reaction to feeling safe, loved and being comfortable. I hope something changes for the better for you and Cherry. :sadhug2::sadhug2:

Sorry, :greet5: welcome to AA.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It's always sad when they get older and change. The one thing I noticed in your post is that , "I noticed his droppings were looking strange ---- larger and really pale green, almost white.." This is the pretty classic symptom of liver issues and at his age I wouldn't doubt kidney problems. Did your vet recommend Milk Thistle - Dandelion support for them, or even SAMe? What kind of digestive enzyme did the vet suggest - I use prozyme Amazon.com : Prozyme (200 gm) : Pet Supplements And Vitamins : Pet Supplies It actually does some of the digestion for the bird and is especially good if you are feeding him eggs. Don't forget pain medications if he seems to be in pain.

Love Cherry every day.

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
Welcome to the forums, I'm so sorry Cherry isn't doing well :( . I hope he feels better soon.

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you, Sandra, Mary, and Allie,

The vet (who can see birds, but not an avian vet ----- the place has a part-time avian vet, but he is only there a couple of times a month, and I wanted to take him right away ---- to see if it could be easier issue or if there is any potential issue for my other birds) did not suggest any particular kind (and he did not have it in his office), so I looked it up and found Harrison's enzyme (Fauna Flora).

He did not say anything about Milk Thistle or Dandelion but I heard about them and actually have them here. Milk Thistle is whole seed form. I have dried Dandelion roots (I drink as tea when I feel bloated). I offered him Milk Thistle seeds but he did not want them. I ground them up and put some on his soft food. I understand I can only make tea from Milk Thistle. How do you suggest offer Milk Thistle and Dandelion?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
all i can say is welcome

CrystalLeo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Christi
If you can only make a tea of of milk thistle maybe try and put some in his drinking water. After it was seeped and cooled of course. I'm not sure what parts of the dandelions are safe for them to eat though. I'll have to look that up.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Your doing well by him, just love him. Tell him everyday.:hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
lucky vitamins has milk thistle and dandelion extract their ecanea has additives a recipe i got from a vet is 1 part of each and 2 parts pinocolada mix
i do not know how much to give your bird but you could ask your vet

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Lucky Vitamin, Amazon and most of the bird supply houses have alcohol free MT/dandelion extract. Don't bother to feed milk thistle seed/tea/ground - the silymarin, active agent in MT MUST be extracted to be at all effective. Dandelion leaves are able to be fed just as is, but I never trust that they haven't been fed or strong fertilizers put on them. For a Cockateil 2 - 4 per day is plenty - you cannot hurt a bird with a large dose of MT and dandelion - so don't worry about that.

The Harrison's enzyme is fine and will help him absorb nutrients.

Don't forget to have pain killer on hand in case he needs them - at his stage in life there is no sense in him putting up with pain.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
2 - 4 drops - that is

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Wishing the best for your 'tiel.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@MNR There's also one other thing you might try and that is DMG. It's been prescribed for some of my birds when they were "under the weather" but the vet couldn't find a reason. It boosts the immune system and does not contraindicate any medicines being given. It is also used for humans as well as birds and animals. A couple of the AA vendors carry a brand of MDG called Avi-Immune and it may help. (Note: it has helped my fids, specially little ones who weren't thriving but I am not a vet so maybe consider asking your vet what he/she thinks?)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. My tiel will be 20 this year. I recently started giving my tiel senior nutriberries. I have to break them up for him but it has supplements geared at helping older birds. A woman who I consider to be a cockatiel guru suggested I try them. My tiel also gets daily probiotics upon the advise of my vet because he has trouble keeping his good bacteria level up- my vet thinks because of his age. Also, how much did your tiel weigh before?

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for all the great suggestions.

I see this on Amazon (but not Amazon Prime): http://www.amazon.com/Avitech-Thist...s=alcohol+free+milk+thistle+dandelion+extract

Also any suggestions for pain killer? I do not think he is in pain, but I would like to have it here.

I would prefer something that I can purchase on Amazon Prime, so that it will come quickly. If not, a vendor who ships quickly and on East coast (I am not far from Atlanta). It look a whole week to get Harrison's enzyme. Any suggestions?

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I think Cherry weighed about 90g-95ish. Whenever I took him to a vet, drs commented that he was "perfect" weight: neither too thin or overweight, just right for his frame. I have to admit that I did not weigh my birds regularly. It seems like he lost the weight very suddenly (along with the funny poop). Every morning I wonder if he is still with me. He still moves around quite a bit, begging to come out and eat his food. His weight really concerns me.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think Cherry weighed about 90g-95ish. Whenever I took him to a vet, drs commented that he was "perfect" weight: neither too thin or overweight, just right for his frame. I have to admit that I did not weigh my birds regularly. It seems like he lost the weight very suddenly (along with the funny poop). Every morning I wonder if he is still with me. He still moves around quite a bit, begging to come out and eat his food. His weight really concerns me.
That is a lot of weight. Is he eating better now? I've noticed that the older my tiel gets the more he likes to eat soft foods- rice, pasta, cous cous, oatmeal, etc. He loves Higgins Worldly Cuisine mixes too. I also let him eat millet spray every day to help keep his weight us as my vet says a lot of tiels start to lose weight as they get older.

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
The weight loss came so rapidly. He is eating well, but it looks like he keeps losing. I think he is well under 70g now. I am very sad to see my little buddy so thin. I love him so much!
Once again, if someone can point to me pain killer for birdies, I would like to have it here (or is this something that I should ask a vet?)

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
This is what happens with old dogs as well. Its like the body doesn't use the food well anymore - I let the old man eat whatever he wanted, and he was still thin.
Many hugs to you. Hard to watch our beloved family members grow old. Still, you did very well to keep him healthy all these years.