• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taking an Indian Redneck Parrot

ashj18

Moving in
Real Name
Ash
Hi,
I wanted some advice on my Indian redneck parrot, Buddy. I have had him for 2 months now and he’s 7 months old, however he’s very scared of me still. I know ( from what I have read) this is quite normal and I should be patient. The only thing I have managed to get him to do is go on a perch when he flies off his cage. He’s out most of the day and I have managed to get him to fly back and forth to get food just to get him use to my presence. The minute I put my hands near him he flies away.... he’s very playful and makes a lot of noise too but I’m just wondering how I get him to be more tamed. I had an incident yesterday where I was trying to take him upstairs I managed to get as far as the stairs and then he flew off and hid underneath... I put the perch underneath but he made a hissing noise quite a few times and then a loud scream so I knew this was annoying him so I left him to come out on his own and then I managed to get him in the cage. I have the feeling that without his cage he is even more scared? Do I just be more patient or is this anything I can do?

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Ash! 1.welcome signs.gif

Maybe this thread will be helpful;

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Hello Ash,
Welcome to the avenue. Your little IRN is adorable!

Are his wings trimmed? I am not sure because you mention he is flying, but in the images his wings look clipped. If his wings are clipped, I would be careful about placing him on a high toy that he can't climb down from on his own. He could fall of injure himself, or he may be afraid that he will fall or injure himself. He may just feel a little afraid/worried because of his loss of independence.

If you allow his flight feathers to return he will likely become more confident. Having confidence is a wonderful way to develop trust and a better relationship with him.

Birdies thrive when they can make the choices for themselves. We can do out best to be fun and interesting for them, but it is very hard for them to trust us if they have no choice.

Hopefully these tips help! I look forward to seeing more pictures of your bird. I absolutely love Asiatic parrots.

ashj18

Moving in
Real Name
Ash
Hello Ash,
Welcome to the avenue. Your little IRN is adorable!

Are his wings trimmed? I am not sure because you mention he is flying, but in the images his wings look clipped. If his wings are clipped, I would be careful about placing him on a high toy that he can't climb down from on his own. He could fall of injure himself, or he may be afraid that he will fall or injure himself. He may just feel a little afraid/worried because of his loss of independence.

If you allow his flight feathers to return he will likely become more confident. Having confidence is a wonderful way to develop trust and a better relationship with him.

Birdies thrive when they can make the choices for themselves. We can do out best to be fun and interesting for them, but it is very hard for them to trust us if they have no choice.

Hopefully these tips help! I look forward to seeing more pictures of your bird. I absolutely love Asiatic parrots.
Hi Thanks for your post.
Yes when i bought the bird from the owner he clipped his wings however i wasn't best pleased to do this after ( just a thought that this is cruel). Its been 2 months now so not sure how long it takes for them to grow back although i have read 3 months? He is very confident in flying as when i approach he does fly off sometimes not far... I am not scared of him flying off outside as windows are closed and i wont be taking him outside just yet. he has knocked into the window a few times but he's very comfortable flying from his cage to my dinning room table which isn't high as i have lowered the cage quite a bit.
i will definetely let his wings grow as i want him to trust me quick.

Thanks again

Ash

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Hi,
I wanted some advice on my Indian redneck parrot, Buddy. I have had him for 2 months now and he’s 7 months old, however he’s very scared of me still. I know ( from what I have read) this is quite normal and I should be patient. The only thing I have managed to get him to do is go on a perch when he flies off his cage. He’s out most of the day and I have managed to get him to fly back and forth to get food just to get him use to my presence. The minute I put my hands near him he flies away.... he’s very playful and makes a lot of noise too but I’m just wondering how I get him to be more tamed. I had an incident yesterday where I was trying to take him upstairs I managed to get as far as the stairs and then he flew off and hid underneath... I put the perch underneath but he made a hissing noise quite a few times and then a loud scream so I knew this was annoying him so I left him to come out on his own and then I managed to get him in the cage. I have the feeling that without his cage he is even more scared? Do I just be more patient or is this anything I can do?
Q-- in the 2nd pic, what is that holding up the swing perch? Looks like one of those glue stickies? Wouldn't think that would hold that well over time. Wouldn't want him to crash... and a little close to the 'molding' above him-- can you make the chain a little longer or add something to keep him away from that... maybe he'll never chew it?

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
You might add some sticky decals to the windows, even tho he kind of knows they're there. When he does become fully flighted and more powerful, he could injure himself if startled.
Your Indian Ringneck Parakeet is beautiful...

Oh, and WELCOME to the Avenue!!! :bounce1:

ashj18

Moving in
Real Name
Ash
You might add some sticky decals to the windows, even tho he kind of knows they're there. When he does become fully flighted and more powerful, he could injure himself if startled.
Your Indian Ringneck Parakeet is beautiful...

Oh, and WELCOME to the Avenue!!! :bounce1:
Ah thanks Pat. Don't worry i sooned learned that even without him on it, the swing fell off overnight. Ive actually taken it down completely as he now uses the swing in his cage more. But i will make it longer when i come to putting it elsewhere. Thanks Pat. I will also put the decals thats a great idea!

Thanks again Pat.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Its been 2 months now so not sure how long it takes for them to grow back although i have read 3 months?
Hello Ash,
It can take up to a year for the feathers to regenerate, unlike fur/hair feathers do not continuously grow. This means you must wait for a molt, at this time entire new feathers replaces the old feathers.

I agree with you! It is cruel to trim a healthy birds wings. Flight is critical to their happiness and health. The only time wing clipping is appropriate is for unique medical conditions or injuries, in short unhealthy or injured birds. I would never clip without guidance from an avian vet.

The best way to work toward trust is patience. Find comfort being around your bird without needing to directly stare at them or interact with them. Curious parrots will eventual come to you and if you have a treat at that perfect moment even better. You can even lay treats near yourself, but do you best to not react when they take one. You are basically trying to show the bird that you are not a scary threat, you are peaceful and rewarding. Once you parrot makes the choice to come to your relationships tend to take off quickly. Let us know how it goes. :)

ashj18

Moving in
Real Name
Ash
Hello Ash,
It can take up to a year for the feathers to regenerate, unlike fur/hair feathers do not continuously grow. This means you must wait for a molt, at this time entire new feathers replaces the old feathers.

I agree with you! It is cruel to trim a healthy birds wings. Flight is critical to their happiness and health. The only time wing clipping is appropriate is for unique medical conditions or injuries, in short unhealthy or injured birds. I would never clip without guidance from an avian vet.

The best way to work toward trust is patience. Find comfort being around your bird without needing to directly stare at them or interact with them. Curious parrots will eventual come to you and if you have a treat at that perfect moment even better. You can even lay treats near yourself, but do you best to not react when they take one. You are basically trying to show the bird that you are not a scary threat, you are peaceful and rewarding. Once you parrot makes the choice to come to your relationships tend to take off quickly. Let us know how it goes. :)
Thank you that is great advice. i will surely do that, yesterday put some grapes away from his usual food bowl and saw he had came to take it which is a good start. I will buy more treats and do exactly what you said.
Yes i don't think i will be clipping his wings anymore. i wish i had joined this forum before purchasing but you live and learn.

Thanks again.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh some other popular treats: pecan pieces, pine nuts, and blueberries. Don't feed to many grapes they are high in sugar and should be used as a very special treat. When I got my plumhead for the first time, he was excited about grapes. I sorta went a little over bored which wasn't good for him. I now only feed a single grape stretched over a long period or wait a few weeks before I offer them again. Try are use more greens (snow peas/beans are popular with my little guy) and tropical fruits like passion fruit. Tropical fruits are lower in sugar with higher in vitamins as a general rule than temperate fruits like apples, grapes, etc :)

I look forward to getting updates on your progress.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Oh some other popular treats: pecan pieces, pine nuts, and blueberries. Don't feed to many grapes they are high in sugar and should be used as a very special treat. When I got my plumhead for the first time, he was excited about grapes. I sorta went a little over bored which wasn't good for him. I now only feed a single grape stretched over a long period or wait a few weeks before I offer them again. Try are use more greens (snow peas/beans are popular with my little guy) and tropical fruits like passion fruit. Tropical fruits are lower in sugar with higher in vitamins as a general rule than temperate fruits like apples, grapes, etc :)

I've never really heard the term-- temperate vs tropical fruits.... take it that refers to climate zone? Pineapple a tropical? Too acidic tho right? My guys love Bananas--- tropical?
Have a list somewhere? thx.

ashj18

Moving in
Real Name
Ash

ahh perfect thats great advise. i need lay off the grapes then.. thanks

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
Also for the window or mirrors, if you can’t find any decals, (I could not) I used strips of ribbons or paper towels, as he approaches them they tend to flutter up and let’s them realize it’s not a way through . Has saved my birdies lots over the years. I find they only need to fly at it a handful of times before they realize it...

and welcome to AA :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I've never really heard the term-- temperate vs tropical fruits.... take it that refers to climate zone? Pineapple a tropical? Too acidic tho right? My guys love Bananas--- tropical?
Have a list somewhere? thx.
Great question, hopefully my response helps :)

I mean it in the most general sense. A lot of fruits that have been domesticated for a long time have a high sugar content because they simply taste better * nom nom nom!

It doesn't mean they are unhealthy, it is just a matter of sugar content and parrots get a little more benefit from fruits that have slightly lower sugar with higher vitamins.

Maybe this list will help with climate:

This is a list of high sugar fruits:

As you will see passion fruits are also pretty high in sugar. However they have a good benefit of being high in vitamin A, so

You may have fun comparing different fruits, it is pretty amazing how different they are. I linked from a few different sites so you can find the graphics you like or what have you and explore your own combos

For some reference on beta carotene and vitamin A. Vitamin A is a very important vitamin for parrots, and as they only eat veggies/fruits/nuts etc, they should be getting foods with beta carotene which comes from plants and is converted into vitamin A in their bodies.

ashj18

Moving in
Real Name
Ash
Great question, hopefully my response helps :)

I mean it in the most general sense. A lot of fruits that have been domesticated for a long time have a high sugar content because they simply taste better * nom nom nom!

It doesn't mean they are unhealthy, it is just a matter of sugar content and parrots get a little more benefit from fruits that have slightly lower sugar with higher vitamins.

Maybe this list will help with climate:

This is a list of high sugar fruits:

As you will see passion fruits are also pretty high in sugar. However they have a good benefit of being high in vitamin A, so

You may have fun comparing different fruits, it is pretty amazing how different they are. I linked from a few different sites so you can find the graphics you like or what have you and explore your own combos

For some reference on beta carotene and vitamin A. Vitamin A is a very important vitamin for parrots, and as they only eat veggies/fruits/nuts etc, they should be getting foods with beta carotene which comes from plants and is converted into vitamin A in their bodies.
Amazing Thank you :)