• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taking a baby cockatiel home at the 28 day old

pikachu_

Moving in
Real Name
Lina
I have bought 2 cockatiels 1. a pearl-(born Sept 27/2020) and 2. a normal grey- (born Oct 01-2020) and I initially told the breeder I wanted to take them home once they're fully weaned, however, the breeder has just informed me that she is traveling on Nov 1 and would like if I take them home earlier on October 31 (one would be 33 days old, the other 28 days old). Both birds are usually fed by the parents but once or twice a day the breeder handles them and feeds them so that they can be handtamed/comfortable with human interaction. Now, I do have experience raising birds (cockatiels and budgies) but I don't have any experience handfeeding birds at all. The breeder has assured me that I can easily learn how to handfeed them and if I don't take them they will lose their handtamedness because then only the parents will be feeding them until they are fully weaned. I really don't know how hard or easy handfeeding is and worried Ill mess things up or something will go wrong, especially since weaning them will take at least another 2 months.

I'm very conflicted on what to do, my main concern is whether I can feed them properly and if its really as easy as she says (especially since Id having to feed them 3 times a day), if they will be screaming for food (I would feel very pressured and guilty especially since they will be in my bedroom and I'll be trying to get work done) etc

I'm really really worried about what to do. She is in no way forcing me to take them but I just don't know what to do and I would appreciate any and all advice.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I do not think breeders should sell unweaned birds. This greatly upsets me. I don't think you should take them until they are weaned. I also hope she's not leaving the birds alone while she is away. Just my opinion.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
You purchased these babies with this understanding that they would be weaned for you! I would be furious in your shoes. What this breeder is doing (and imo threatening) is very wrong. No breeder should sell unweaned babies, especially if you've never handfed. :( I can't believe she'd even plan on leaving on a trip with babies in the nest at all. That is so irresponsible.

I'm so sorry. I don't know what to recommend for you. I would not take the birds early, personally. Especially without the handfeeding experience... if they get sick or die on your watch because she bailed, then she'll be able to blame you. I think in your shoes I'd be demanding a refund and finding another breeder, but that's so hard when your heart is already set on these birds.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m really sorry the you are in this position. I think this is really irresponsible of this breeder, and she shouldn’t travel until the birds are fully weaned, which for many cockatiels is 12 weeks old.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Very unprofessional for this ¨breeder¨ to go away with babies in the nest. Though things (emergencies) come up, they should have a backup plan for these types of situations ie a person to come and take over watch while they are away.

If you do take these birds, I wouldn´t do it without the ¨breeder¨ being the one to switch them onto handfeeding via spoon method a few days before the handover. She has been handling the little ones and they will trust her. So it will be easier for her to be the one to do the first hand feeding for a few days until you take them home.
Not ideal, but if you are invested in these birds and don´t want to go find another breeder, this is the best way forward.
If you bring them home, be sure to keep them warm and hand feed following package instructions to the T to prepare formula, and offering it on a small metal teaspoon.

pikachu_

Moving in
Real Name
Lina
Thank you for all the comments and suggestion! Also I wanted to mention that she isn't leaving the babies completely alone as her son will be watching them- just not handfeeding them. I haven't decided on what to do yet but in the meantime I've done some basic reading and researching on how to handfeed and have talked to her and decided to try it out with her supervising and everything next week and if I'm comfortable- I'll maybe take them but if my gut tells me no- or I feel they re not old enough, or im scared etc I'll wait and just let the parents feed them.

The breeder has been very considerate towards everything and I do believe she's traveling due to an emergency- she's also given me back %30 of what I initially paid as she couldn't follow through with the handfeeding etc She too is also worried and has been very communicative and everything through this whole thing- shes letting me ultimately decide but I'm just worried and I don't want to mess things up with the babies.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
You can still tame a young bird parent raised . I would wait until they are weened. Please learn about how to prevent sour crop , aspiration etc if you decide to handfeed.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
I got Ember when she was only a month old as well, the breeder sold her to me earlier then he sold the other birds for some reason. She was the first baby bird I hand-fed and I messed it up pretty badly.

My advice to you is that if your going to feed a baby bird than make sure you do not over feed them, buy the best quality formula. I made my own using tropical lifetime pellets which resulted in her getting gas in her crop, which could have killed her if the vet didn't figure it out.

Corriew

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Corrie
I tamed my first cocktail 20years sfo. Took time and patience but she was a huge suck and loved attention so it can be done.
You can still tame a young bird parent raised . I would wait until they are weened. Please learn about how to prevent sour crop , aspiration etc if you decide to handfeed.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'd be curious how long the breeder will be gone from her home. My best advice... WAIT. Leave the babies with the parents to finish feeding them until they are weaned. The breeder will respect you for making this decision... it is in the best interest of the babies. Young cockatiels are not difficult to work with in transitioning to a home environment at a later age. Bringing young birds into a home, hand feeding and making them very dependent on you can have it's detriment in creating behavior issues, and or health problems should you make any error in hand feeding. Believe me, this forum has seen many young birds suffer ( and die) when taken too early by inexperienced but well meaning owners.

Madison

Moving in
Its really not hard once you get it figured out. Just make sure you buy a thermometer. It has to be the perfect temp and perfect thickness. Once they start eating real food they require less and less hand feed.. just like any baby you hand feed, things can go horribly wrong if you dont do it right.. but they will love you even more if you hand feed. I wouldn't recommend keeping in your bedroom.. baby tails scream ALOT even if you just got done feeding.. I agree the breeder is screwing you over but now you have a choice to make. If your heart's setting on theese babies, I'd try it out. Just make sure you have someone to personally call if you have questions while shes not available..good luck, I'm sure you'll do great..