• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Tail split and stringy?

imnotgrandpa

Meeting neighbors
Hey guys I have noticed for a few weeks my green cheeks tail is split and stringy. I thought it could just be cage damage but it’s completely split one side of a tail feather. Trimmed a few of the curly bits once before it got to this extent expecting it would help improve it but obviously it didn’t. Have you guys seen anything like this?

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am guessing it did not always look like that?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Looks to me like it is damaged and its not likely to look any better than it is now as there is not enough of it's barbs on that side to lock together neatly anymore. Just have to wait for it to drop out I think.

imnotgrandpa

Meeting neighbors
Looks to me like it is damaged and its not likely to look any better than it is now as there is not enough of it's barbs on that side to lock together neatly anymore. Just have to wait for it to drop out I think.
Do you think it could be caused by an underlying health problem or just cage damage?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Did it grow and look normal to start with (like the one next to it) and then it’s ended up looking like this over time?

My guess is that it did grow in as a normal looking feather and got some damage somewhere along the way and has continued to get damaged further.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Cheekys can be really rough in the way that they play. But I have to ask does his/her tail go through the cage bars at all?