• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tail feathers not growing back?

thickwig

Moving in
My Porkchop lost all but one of his tail feathers several months ago when he got spooked and flipped out. One has grown back, directly under the tail feather that did not fall out, but none of his other tail feathers have come back. He had five, previously!

He is on a balanced diet with pellets, fresh fruits and vegetables, and nutriberries (at breakfast), so I don't believe it to be a dietary issue. His last vet appointment was just prior to him losing his tail feathers, and he received a gleamingly clean bill of health.

Should I be concerned that they are not growing back yet? Is there anything I should do to help?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You should not be concerned. It can take quite a while for tail, or wing feathers, to grow back. Has he had a molt recently?

thickwig

Moving in
Yes, he seemed to finish a molt a month or so ago! Thanks for the reassurance. I just found it really odd that one feel had grown back in full so quickly but not the others. And it does look pretty silly, too! Since his two tail feathers are stacked on top of each other, it looks like he's got one feather sticking straight out of his butt .