• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tail feather condition

bjornkamp

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey all,

I am new here and saw that there is a specific threat for African greys. My African grey "eevee" just became.1 year old but I am noticing that she is still having really scruffy tail feathers. She prunes them nicely and the rest of the feathers are in top shape but I want to know if this is African grey specific. Haven't noticed it with my other cockatiels ever. I will add some pictures to clarify the problem.

Thanks to all help in advance

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Feathers can look like that a lot in young birds who play hard, particularly if they play on the bottom of their cage, or another area where the tail feathers are rubbing against something. It can also happen if they are in too small of a cage for their size, or like to burrow or otherwise do activities that impact the feathers.

bjornkamp

Checking out the neighborhood
Feathers can look like that a lot in young birds who play hard, particularly if they play on the bottom of their cage, or another area where the tail feathers are rubbing against something. It can also happen if they are in too small of a cage for their size, or like to burrow or otherwise do activities that impact the feathers.
Aha Okey, haven't noticed it with my cockatiels. But yeah she definitely plays like hell! One thing I now for sure is that the cage is big enough 1,2mx1*5m*2m