• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tail feather came out, will she bleed?!

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
Hello!
My conure had a broken tail feather and I was trying to get the it off since they always end up breaking off shortly after anyways. Well, I ended up accidentally PULLING THE WHOLE FREAKING FEATHER RIGHT OUT!

Will she bleed now?
There was no blood on it when it came out?
Will you bleed? Should I be worried?
I tried to look for blood but it's hard to tell when there are other feathers in the way and when she won't stop squirming!

I understand maybe I should have left it alone in the first place which is not my point of this question -

Photo posted is a photo of the tail feather

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I don’t see any blood in the end of the shaft so my guess is she should be fine. It may have been ready to drop out on its own??

I honestly only ever bother removing the broken part of feathers if they are irritating my bird or catching on things. And I usually try to use a pair of clippers to cut through the rest of the shaft that hasn’t been broken. The mature broken feathers are not usually an issue for them so you don’t actually have to remove the broken part- I mean you can if it’s bothering you or the bird.

If it was gonna bleed I’d be guessing you’d be seeing drops of it by now :)

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Yes, agree with Shezbug - looks like it was ready to come out on its own since there is no blood on the end of it. :) All should be ok.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
I don’t see any blood in the end of the shaft so my guess is she should be fine. It may have been ready to drop out on its own??
All that I see which I assume is blood is the tiniest bit on the very tip of the shaft, it's just like a little dot of blood but that's all.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
Yes, agree with Shezbug - looks like it was ready to come out on its own since there is no blood on the end of it. :) All should be ok.
All that I see which I assume is blood is the tiniest bit on the very tip of the shaft, it's just like a little dot of blood but that's all.

Also, she didn't really squawk like it was painful when it came out which I assume is a good sign?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I can’t actually see that in the pic but it looks like an older feather to me rather then a new one. Is your bird fussing with the spot it came from?

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
I can’t actually see that in the pic but it looks like an older feather to me rather then a new one. Is your bird fussing with the spot it came from?
I see she does have some new ones and this one that came out was quite long meaning it was there for a while.
She is just going about her usual feather cleaning right now.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I think she will be fine. I think you got lucky with it being an older feather ready to drop on its own soon.
Isn’t it quite funny how much we stress over our beautiful birds?:D They so deserve it though for being such great companions.

Scarlet&Annie

Strolling the yard
I think she will be fine. I think you got lucky with it being an older feather ready to drop on its own soon.
Isn’t it quite funny how much we stress over our beautiful birds?:D They so deserve it though for being such great companions.
Talk about relief! Haha

I don't see any blood so I'm assuming that I'm all in the clear.

I worry about her all the time!
She is like a child to me, lmao.
I don't need human children, lol, my birdy costs me less and I still worry about her as much as I would a human child!

Never thought I'd be a bird kind of person but they are absolutely amazing!