• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tail feather Accident

nikotaylor

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Niko Taylor
Hey everyone. Something sad happened earlier today (not death, don’t worry). Earlier today, I was testing out some to bird treats with my green cheeked conure Russell, and I warned everyone to watch where they were stepping, since we were both on the floor. Sadly, someone accidentally steeped on Russell. All of his tail feathers came out, and he no longer has any. None of them were bleeding, and he is okay now, but I was wondering if anyone has any similar stories, just so I can feel better about what happened.

FYI I am unsure where he was stepped on, but I am guessing it was just his tail.

I hope his feathers grow back soon :(

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They can actually drop the tail feathers to help them get away if needed. It has happened to a few other members here in the past. One I remember of was a cockatiel who was leaned back on while he was sitting on the back of a chair.
As long as your bird was not actually stood on and it was just his tail feathers he should be fine.
Might be best to never play on the floor with him unless you know for sure no one else will be in the room. It can be very dangerous unfortunately for small birds to be on the floor, sounds like you guys might have had a lucky escape this time with only the tail getting stood on- next time may not be so lucky.
Keep us updated on your bird :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please do not allow a small bird on the floor. The feathers will grow back but flight may be effected until regrowth.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
As mentioned the tail feathers can come out easily when there is a danger perceived. Think if a bird got grabbed by a cat by the tail... Letting the feathers go allows them to get away with their life.

They'll grow back; it may take several weeks. Please monitor him to make sure he has no other injuries from being stepped on

nikotaylor

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Niko Taylor
Thanks everyone. He is actually flying, walking, and doing just fine. He is his normal self, just without a tail lol. I also know that he should not be on the floor. We were in a separate room, and I figured no one would probably come in.