• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tail dragging

Tobi

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Angela
Hi! We just brought home our 3 month old white cockatiel. He’s doing well so far with my daughter. But he seems clumsy in the cage and trips over his tail many times and drags it. Is this normal since he’s so young? His winds have been clipped by the breeder.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Angela :)

It could be because the wings are clipped. It´s always ideal to get them to a vet for a wellness check when bringing home a new bird, so I would schedule an appointment now and you can have the vet take a look, just in case there´s something else.

Coelle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Welcome and congrats on your new baby! Young cockatiels are pretty clumsy and in my experience they tend to need some time to learn ‘respect for the tail’ :p. Having clipped wings definitely adds to this clumsiness for sure though. Nibblers tail was an actual train wreck when he was a baby, always broken and super ratty. Hermes tail is a bit better since he’s fully flighted so he doesn’t land on his tail all the time like Nibbler did but it’s still a bit messy looking.

Zara is definitely right though and I would also recommend taking the little guy into an avian vet just to make sure he’s healthy and doing well! Also pictures please!!

Tobi

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Angela
Thanks for the replies. We have an appt for the vet in 2 weeks. It almost seems as if she (pretty sure he is a she) doesn’t even know she has a tail the way she drags it and gets it caught up…..I hope nothing is wrong with her tail. She really is bonding well with our family otherwise.