• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tail bobbing

Ticcker

Moving in
Hello,
I made an account on here to bring up a major concern I'm having I have a budgie that I don't know the age of and until the other day didn't even know the gender of seeing as I got her from a pet store and now she laid eggs. At first, it was only one and now we have two so far and she seems to be fine I will be taking out the eggs in a few weeks because as far as I know its safe to do so and will not harm her (please tell me if I shouldn't do so) and have read up on they are completely unfertilized seeing as she is a solitary budgie.

But my main concern now is after the second egg was laid in the evening yesterday and between now she has been sitting on them a lot more and will occasionally get up eat and drink nibble on her cuttlebone and such but this time of her coming to perch for a bit I noticed her tail started bobbing. I'm fairly new to owning any birds so I only have the one budgie and I've had this budgie for I believe nearly two years but I know tail bobbing can be a sign of sickness but besides the tail bobbing she is acting normal no panting maybe just more alert after laying her eggs and my family all wanting to come and see them. I have no way of getting my bird to the vet seeing as I cant drive and I'm unsure if my parents would even bring me to one for something they probably wouldn't get is such a big issue. Sorry to flood this with so many questions but some help, please...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
As your bird is a budgie you are safe to remove the eggs anytime you like. Tail bobbing is not a good sign- can you get a video to share?
Tagging @Ripshod to give you more help.

Ticcker

Moving in
As your bird is a budgie you are safe to remove the eggs anytime you like. Tail bobbing is not a good sign- can you get a video to share?
Tagging @Ripshod to give you more help.
I don't think ill be able to get a video currently due to her always being on her eggs but if she perches for a bit I will definitely try to!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If she’s sitting on them constantly I’d definitely remove them.

Ticcker

Moving in
Tail bobbing in budgie

there’s a link to a video of her tail bobbing and I’ve removed the eggs. (Sorry for noise in video I live in a house full of people)
also adding to this she's acting normally after removing the eggs, her tail is bobbing but she's eating, chewing on toys and cuttlebone, and no panting or anything odd like acting lethargic and etc.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Is she breathing that hard when you're not filming her? If yes I think you should take her to an avian vet, she appears to be in some distress.

Ticcker

Moving in
Is she breathing that hard when you're not filming her? If yes I think you should take her to an avian vet, she appears to be in some distress.
it’s bobbing a lot less when I’m not filming her but I’ll be contacting my local exotic vet but do you think she will still be ok for a while because I have no idea when we will be able to bring her? It could possibly not be for another week or two or longer plus it’s a lot harder to bring her to vets since she isn’t hand tamed and I don’t want to cause her additional stress by grabbing her.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
it’s bobbing a lot less when I’m not filming her
If that's the case, and her tail bob is less than ¼inch (6mm) at the top when she is resting then she may likely be fine. Book her in for a vet check still, but if she gets worse call again for an emergency vet appointment or clinic.

Ticcker

Moving in
If that's the case, and her tail bob is less than ¼inch (6mm) at the top when she is resting then she may likely be fine. Book her in for a vet check still, but if she gets worse call again for an emergency vet appointment or clinic.
We will probably end up waiting a while and just bringing her to the next available appointment after her carrier cage comes in to take her but if it becomes more severe we will be taking her in as an emergency appointment. Thank you so much for the help it definitely helped calm my nerves I was so worried for her!!