• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tail bobbing and sound breathing

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
As long as you have seen her drinking SOME water. Budgies really don't drink alot of water. You can also try clipping some wet romaine lettuce or kale (broccoli, carrot greens, cauliflower, Sweet potatoe, etc..etc. can also be offered chopped in a bowl) clipped to the side of the cage where it is easily accessed so she can drink and nibble and also bathe herself in the wet leaves.

ABM

Strolling the yard
As long as you have seen her drinking SOME water. Budgies really don't drink alot of water. You can also try clipping some wet romaine lettuce or kale (broccoli, carrot greens, cauliflower, Sweet potatoe, etc..etc. can also be offered chopped in a bowl) clipped to the side of the cage where it is easily accessed so she can drink and nibble and also bathe herself in the wet leaves.
Yes. Will do

Fill this work for foraging (pic)

Attachments

ABM

Strolling the yard

Night procedure question.
Is it mandatory to cover the cage completely at night?
Soon as I cover n turn off lights, Birdie flaps around in the cage for a while. Ive sat in the dark till he settles and I'd hear a couple chirps before it calms down.
Is this ok? Don't want him to get hurt in the dark.

Farfah

Walking the driveway
Soon as I cover n turn off lights, Birdie flaps around in the cage for a while. Ive sat in the dark till he settles and I'd hear a couple chirps before it calms down.
I like to partially cover my birds’ cage and give them a nightlight. One of them gets nightfrights which sends him violently flapping all over the cage if it’s dark. It is a very scary situation for him and I! You may want to try a nightlight if you notice he is uncomfortable in the dark. However, I don’t think that’s super common with budgies.

The covering is up to you but might be good if near a place where people walk by or if close to a window where lights shine in. Also, I like to change their water, tell them they are very good birbs and that I’ll make sure nothing will hurt them before I cover. Establishing a routine every night seems to make it less stressful on them.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I always leave a night lite on and cover the cage on 3 sides leaving the front mostly open. Budgies don't have the best night vision so it's best to ensure that it's not totally dark.

Reactions: ABM

Farfah

Walking the driveway
What's the normal poop color consistency. Looks like it just changed suddenly.

- The larger consistency was his sleep spot position at night.
That looks a little too wet to be normal droppings. Did you change his food recently? I could be caused by stress. Are all his poops like this?

ABM

Strolling the yard
That looks a little too wet to be normal droppings. Did you change his food recently? I could be caused by stress. Are all his poops like this?
Food- I had placed chopped apple and carrot in his bowl yesterday....dint think he had any.
Today was just his regular seeds and millet and water. He eats fine though and has been having water (in my presence).

To answer your question- the appearance of all is all similar to the picture. Though the amount is back to droppings. (The large amount was at night).
He did begin with poop looking like black and white the first two days....just Yesterday night it changed.

Could be stress too....he'd chirp or squak if it get loud suddenly!

ABM

Strolling the yard
Also, midday he seemed to be more "interactive" by sitting by the closest perch to the cage door, hopping onto the stick as I was relocating it around, and also pacing left n right as if "wanting to come out" but soon as I'd try offering a finger, he'd go back to the farther branch.

ABM

Strolling the yard

I just realized.... The cage is in living room across the kitchen where the dishwasher runs at night. Could that sound had him stressed out at night and thus the stressed poop

Farfah

Walking the driveway
My birds' poop will usually change if they eat something different such as more veggies but if that's not the case...

Are you giving him enough food? Sometimes birds drink more water if they don't have enough food and that can cause diarrhea. This happened to my friends' bird because she didn't change out the seed hulls in their food dish.

Other reasons could be stress or a draft - you could try removing any stressors or making the area warmer? I'd watch and see if this is just a temporary thing for another 1-2 days and if it continues, talk to a vet. If he becomes low energy and fluffed up, take him to the vet asap.

ABM

Strolling the yard
My birds' poop will usually change if they eat something different such as more veggies but if that's not the case...

Are you giving him enough food? Sometimes birds drink more water if they don't have enough food and that can cause diarrhea. This happened to my friends' bird because she didn't change out the seed hulls in their food dish.

- I have noticed lot of hulls in his dish. My question is do I remove just the hulls ( as much as possible) or throw away that entire portion (below those hulls are fresh seeds too) and replace it with a whole new bowl.?

Other reasons could be stress or a draft - you could try removing any stressors or making the area warmer? I'd watch and see if this is just a temporary thing for another 1-2 days and if it continues, talk to a vet. If he becomes low energy and fluffed up, take him to the vet asap.
- I'll keep a watch.

ABM

Strolling the yard

have noticed lot of hulls in his dish. My question is do I remove just the hulls on top ( as much as possible) or throw away that entire portion (below those top hulls are fresh seeds too) and replace it with a whole new portion.?

SchwuggieLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
He looks comfortable and happy to me, maybe just wanting someone to interact with. At 0:20, that's a contact call. They use it to call out to other birds. He is probably not used to being the only bird yet, and I think a lot of his body language was a reaction to the sound from the kid in the background.

My budgie bonded to me after his mate died, so when he does his "contact call" it's usually because he misses me or needs something (although sometimes he's calling out to native birds....or running water). I usually respond with a specific whistle. Then he'll call back in response, and we'll go back and forth. If at all possible I go see him when he calls to me though (I don't want him to get depressed from loneliness, as they are very social creatures). I will give him a kiss and/or talk to him for a bit, and he'll be satisfied. He also uses his call in the morning if I haven't opened the blinds or given him his bowl of fresh food yet. He doesn't let me forget! But I can differentiate based on context and body language.

You seem really in tune to your budgie, so I think you will learn his sounds and body language soon enough! He will also learn YOUR body language, habits, and sounds, and that will help communication as well.

SchwuggieLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I have always covered. I make sure there's still some airflow but I do think it helps with drafts, light, and signaling to them that it's bed time. My bird is familiar enough with his cage that he can navigate it in the dark. In fact there's a specific spot he prefers to sit when I say goodnight to him, and then he actually waits for me to cover the cage and get in my own bed before he climbs up to his sleeping spot.

The flapping is something that my birds always used to do as well. Every night after I closed the cage. I researched it, and they're basically exercising their wings. Especially if he's just sitting still and flapping quickly for a minute (if he's smacking against different sides of the cage, that's different--he likely got startled). After I started letting my birds out of the cage and they were able to fly, they stopped the night flapping.

ABM

Strolling the yard
He looks comfortable and happy to me, maybe just wanting someone to interact with. At 0:20, that's a contact call. They use it to call out to other birds. He is probably not used to being the only bird yet, and I think a lot of his body language was a reaction to the sound from the kid in the background.

My budgie bonded to me after his mate died, so when he does his "contact call" it's usually because he misses me or needs something (although sometimes he's calling out to native birds....or running water). I usually respond with a specific whistle. Then he'll call back in response, and we'll go back and forth. If at all possible I go see him when he calls to me though (I don't want him to get depressed from loneliness, as they are very social creatures). I will give him a kiss and/or talk to him for a bit, and he'll be satisfied. He also uses his call in the morning if I haven't opened the blinds or given him his bowl of fresh food yet. He doesn't let me forget! But I can differentiate based on context and body language.

You seem really in tune to your budgie, so I think you will learn his sounds and body language soon enough! He will also learn YOUR body language, habits, and sounds, and that will help communication as well.
Thanks I'll check on that. Yes I talk a lot kiss him a lot Little short of hugging him . Still trying to understand his sounds and body language.... I do feel that he is ready to jump out of his cage just needs that little bit more of confidence. He tries to interact a lot comes really close to the cage flaps his wings around in my presence.

I just want to introduce more food when he's comfortable.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
have noticed lot of hulls in his dish. My question is do I remove just the hulls on top ( as much as possible) or throw away that entire portion (below those top hulls are fresh seeds too) and replace it with a whole new portion.?
If you have a handheld crevice tool on your vacuum, you can gently vacuum up the hulls but I always add fresh seed on top. Budgies can be particularly picky about which type of seed they like so until their tastes expand it is best to offer fresh seed daily. As far as the droppings go, they do look a bit watery but it is difficult to tell from the pics as I can't zoom in. This runny consistency could be due to many innocent reasons so is it possible to get a closer up pic?

Last edited:

ABM

Strolling the yard
If you have a handheld crevice tool on your vacuum, you can gently vacuum up the hulls but I always add fresh seed on top. Budgies can be particularly picky about which type of seed they like so until their tastes expand it is best to offer fresh seed daily. As far as the droppings go, they do look a bit watery but it is difficult to tell from the pics as I can't zoom in. This runny consistency could be due to many innocent reasons so is it possible to get a closer up pic?
I'll try get better picture tomorrow with an updated pic too. Btw he stepped out today.

Attachments