• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tail bobbing and sound breathing

ABM

Strolling the yard
Hi,

I have a 2-month-old parakeet recently got. (2 days at home). Firstly I am a new bird owner never had birds before.

I have been noticing my parakeet is tail bobbing. And today for a short moment I noticed sound while tail bobbing.

Do I need to find an avian vet asap, or wait a couple of days and notice a pattern? Any suggestions would help.
Thanks

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
Vet ASAP. Tail bobbing and noisy breathing is Pneumonia is a potentially deadly. I lost quite a few of my chickens to walking pneumonia before I figured out what was wrong.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
OK let's take a step back here. How much tail bobbing and what kind of sound? Is it and obvious sound of laboured breathing? Is your bird puffed up and looking ill? Is it possible to post a pic? All budgies bob their tails a little bit when they are adjusting to balancing in a new enviornment.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
OK let's take a step back here. How much tail bobbing and what kind of sound? Is it and obvious sound of laboured breathing? Is your bird puffed up and looking ill? Is it possible to post a pic? All budgies bob their tails a little bit when they are adjusting to balancing in a new enviornment.
Agree. A new environment is very stressful and a new budgie will need time to adjust.

A slight tail bob is normal, it's how budgies balance and is the equivalent of us putting our arms straight out while trying to balance on a beam.
Heavy breathing or panting is a stress response and should subside once the bird has adjusted to it's new environment.

HOWEVER! If your bird has a dirty vent or abnormal poops, is fluffed up and sleepy, or has a "crackling" noise while breathing then this can all be signs of an illness and a vet is needed.
As with any new pet, a vet visit is always recommended for a general checkup and wellness check.

ABM

Strolling the yard
The tail bobbing is not that much. I hope the below link helps.

"Birdie" It's pretty active and chirping most of the time unless he is napping.... Which I'm observing happens in bits and pieces all through the day.

ABM

Strolling the yard

Take look at this video. Hope it helps is my concerns. Thanks!
Link to birdie -

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Looks like normal, if slightly anxious breathing. Certainly nothing to worry about in itself. Anxiety also makes them breath heavier, but if the breathing sounds rough or you hear clicks or other strange sounds then you should go straight to your vet.
It's a shame she's so heavily clipped.
She has nowhere to hide so maybe you could cover the cage except the front so she only has to worry about watching the front of the cage? And give her some space, I'm sure a lot if her anxiety us from you hanging around like a predator (notice she's facing the back of the cage - usually the easiest escape is away from the threat).

Last edited:

ABM

Strolling the yard
Looks like normal, if slightly anxious breathing. Certainly nothing to worry about in itself. Anxiety also makes them breath heavier, but if the breathing sounds rough or you hear clicks or other strange sounds then you should go straight to your vet.
It's a shame she's so heavily clipped.
She has nowhere to hide so maybe you could cover the cage except the front so she only has to worry about watching the front of the cage? And give her some space, I'm sure a lot if her anxiety us from you hanging around like a predator (notice she's facing the back of the cage - usually the easiest escape is away from the threat).

Absolutely thank you. Definitely Will try covering part of the cage and see how it goes.
He eats off my hand whenever I feed him.

Also do you think I can let him out of the cage by keeping the door open and seeing if he wants to come out?
He tends to sleep on and off through the day I suppose that is fine for such a young baby.
I'd love to take him for a drive with me in the car I have a carrier do you think that's too early?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I wouldn't take her out for a while yet. Give her time to settle - she's in a new cage, in a new home, with a new human. That takes some time to get over.
What toys does she have. Any photos of the cage would help others give any good advice they have.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Agree with @Ripshod. Don't attempt to let her out yet. She needs time to get used to her cage and feel safe in there. Placing the cage in the corner so 2 walls are protecting her can give her some more confidence. Some toys to get used to as well and let her get used to not only your presence but your gentle soothing voice. Playing happy budgie sounds from youtube can sometimes help them feel less vulnerable. Patience...lol.

ABM

Strolling the yard
I wouldn't take her out for a while yet. Give her time to settle - she's in a new cage, in a new home, with a new human. That takes some time to get over.
What toys does she have. Any photos of the cage would help others give any good advice they have.

Sure. Makes sense. Here are some pics. I've yet to add lot of other toys. This was just to start off setup. All feedback welcome! PXL_20210506_185006040.PORTRAIT.jpg

Attachments

ABM

Strolling the yard
Agree with @Ripshod. Don't attempt to let her out yet. She needs time to get used to her cage and feel safe in there. Placing the cage in the corner so 2 walls are protecting her can give her some more confidence. Some toys to get used to as well and let her get used to not only your presence but your gentle soothing voice. Playing happy budgie sounds from youtube can sometimes help them feel less vulnerable. Patience...lol.
Yup .... Just excited

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
A few natural branches so her feet can adapt to different sizes and maybe a rope perch. Once you start opening the cage (after she is used to her cage) you can add a rope perch on the outside of the cage under the door so she can easily reenter it. Maybe raise her cage higher up. Budgies feel safer the higher they are. Also make sure her cage has shade for her when those windows are open. Enjoy bonding with your new baby!!

ABM

Strolling the yard
A few natural branches so her feet can adapt to different sizes and maybe a rope perch. Once you start opening the cage (after she is used to her cage) you can add a rope perch on the outside of the cage under the door so she can easily reenter it. Maybe raise her cage higher up. Budgies feel safer the higher they are. Also make sure her cage has shade for her when those windows are open. Enjoy bonding with your new baby!!

Most latest picture. I have two natural branches. Raised the cage .. those still working on a more permanent solution. Those windows don't really bring in too much direct light so I thought that would be good for him to see the outside world as well as keep warm.

Attachments

ABM

Strolling the yard
Video link - see this video and please share your views on the body language so I can understand better . Apart from the sudden noise that my kids made coming into the house.... Is that something else that little birdie is trying to say?

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Aww...she is certainly getting around quite well in her cage. Her response to the noise is her flock calling. A good sign. As she becomes more adapted to everyone's noise (budgies love noise) she will call to you as you will become members of her flock. She seems curious and active. Too bad she is so severely clipped. Watch her closely if and when you let her out so she doesn't injure herself attempting to fly and faltering. Once her wings grow out I think she will be a very curious, adventurous little budgie.

ABM

Strolling the yard
Aww...she is certainly getting around quite well in her cage. Her response to the noise is her flock calling. A good sign. As she becomes more adapted to everyone's noise (budgies love noise) she will call to you as you will become members of her flock. She seems curious and active. Too bad she is so severely clipped. Watch her closely if and when you let her out so she doesn't injure herself attempting to fly and faltering. Once her wings grow out I think she will be a very curious, adventurous little budgie.
Phew...! Thanks. Sometimes I feel living this cage is very small for him. It's 30inch by 20inch. Yes probably next week I can open the cage door and see how he does.

Question. How much water do they actually drink? I don't see him drinking water much.
Any reason they would be walking on the floor of the cage looking for something?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Most latest picture. I have two natural branches.
Rearrange it so that the dowels are lower down, and the natural branches are higher up ;)

When you eventually remove the cover on the top, I would reposition the cage so that it is parallel to the wall, facing the sofa. This way the wall will add some comfort and won´t be as exposed as a large empty space in the corner of the room. (I hope that makes sense)

Any reason they would be walking on the floor of the cage looking for something?
Budgies like to forage. You could try including a foraging activity for him to do. Maybe an egg carton, or plastic plate, then put some small toys, toy parts, large plastic beads, bits of safe wood, some crinkle paper, and sprinkle some seed on top.

ABM

Strolling the yard
Rearrange it so that the dowels are lower down, and the natural branches are higher up ;)

When you eventually remove the cover on the top, I would reposition the cage so that it is parallel to the wall, facing the sofa. This way the wall will add some comfort and won´t be as exposed as a large empty space in the corner of the room. (I hope that makes sense)

- absolutely makes perfect sense.

Budgies like to forage. You could try including a foraging activity for him to do. Maybe an egg carton, or plastic plate, then put some small toys, toy parts, large plastic beads, bits of safe wood, some crinkle paper, and sprinkle some seed on top.
Yup! My son's onto that.... Making something creative