• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taco's pupil is suddenly an abnormal shape

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was just hanging out with Taco and getting him settled in for bed, and I noticed that the pupil in his left eye (my right, his left) is suddenly a very bizarre shape. It looks kind of like two circles squished together.

I'm up in his face on a regular basis and only just noticed it, so I feel like whatever happened must have happened today. He was scratching at it a bit this morning, but I figured he was just itchy and thought nothing of it.

What do you guys think? Trauma of some kind? Illness? Deficiency?

I did a search on Google and through AA looking for a potential answer, but all I could find was mention of Marek's disease, which is apparently exclusive to poultry.

I did my best to get a focused picture, but Taco decided that he didn't like my camera today so it's not great.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am afraid I have no idea. I hope it's nothing serious. @Hankmacaw .?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh that so does not look right, poor Taco. I hope it is not too painful or irritating for him......@Macawnutz, & @Hankmacaw is who I would be asking until I could call the vet for an appointment.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just got Taco's carrier ready for the vet and went into his room to get him...and his pupil is completely back to normal.

What the heck.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I just got Taco's carrier ready for the vet and went into his room to get him...and his pupil is completely back to normal.

What the heck.

Let's tag the neuro person! Lol

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay creepy.

I still don't like it. I would have been at my vet so fast!
LOL I've actually been reading up on eye conditions this week because my new baby Audrey has something wrong and I'm playing my favorite game of "can I solve the medical mystery on my own before the vet confirms it."

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
LOL I've actually been reading up on eye conditions this week because my new baby Audrey has something wrong and I'm playing my favorite game of "can I solve the medical mystery on my own before the vet confirms it."

I've had two blind birds. I don't mess with eyes. ;)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Even with that explanation you still might want to contact the vet and let him/her know what you saw and even send an email with photo if possible.