• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taco's pupil is suddenly an abnormal shape

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
My macaw is determined to give me a heart attack before I hit 30, I swear. :lol:
Oh, silly @hrafn, I'm pretty sure it's not just your macaw. I think most of your critters have been in on this game. :p

Come to think of it, I think the reason you must dye your hair so many pretty ways is to cover the grays they're giving you. :faint:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm always concerned about conditions other than the most likely that can cause the same symptoms. A misshapen pupil might be caused by a mass in the eyeball, glaucoma, the lingering effects of a stroke or seizure, a neurological problem. Realize that my experience with my birds is that they almost always come up with the weirdest condition possible - so I'm always super cautious.

Take poor Taco to the Dr.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If this were my bird, I'd call and ask the vet if they think it warrants a visit. I agree on being vigilant for underlying causes, but my question would be whether there's anything they can actually do to get answers from a single resolved incident.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There is only one way to find out - take the bird to the vet.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
With all due respect, health professionals have the right to screen cases and decide whether a visit is warranted or whether it would be causing undue stress/expense because nothing can be accomplished. That's all I'm suggesting. If this were a human patient, there'd be no action to take at the moment. Certainly the vet may feel differently but why not let them answer that question?

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Okay that is just about the strangest thing creepy but strange.