• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Taco was playing in the litter box!!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Forget the helmet, this kid needs a bubble.

My own fault, of course; I didn't notice that the door to the New World room didn't fully latch while I was giving out breakfast, and when Taco was playing on the floor a few minutes later, he noticed the door and pulled it open.

I was in the living room and I started to hear some bizarre noises, so I followed the sound to the bathroom, and found Taco playing in Jackson's litter box!!

I immediately shooed him out and gave him a shower (thank god he's being nice again and stepped up for me), but I'm still super worried about him.

Should I bring him to the vet? My major worry is the fact that he's been self-mutilating and that he may have got something unpleasant in his open wound.

Or, god forbid, eaten something.

I clean the litterbox every evening, but a litterbox is a litterbox and it's not clean.

I'm so mad at myself.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Korbel picked up pasteurella from I believe our litter box.

I've never seen him go down there but one day there was litter all over the floor in a non cat way.... A few weeks later we had to take him to an ER for acting off and one of the bugs was pasteurella. When I read it the litter box mess was clear in my head and we moved the box to a non bird room.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
:sadhug2:Yep Vet trip, better safe then sorry. Keep us posted on how Taco does!:sadhug:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Will the vet just give him an antibiotic shot and sterilize his open wound? Or is there something more that will need to be done?

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Taco got an antibiotic shot and some topical disinfectant for his injury. They didn't wrap it or anything since it's healing well. They want me to keep a close eye on him for the next week or so and bring him back in if necessary, but they sent him home with me today. He doesn't seem bothered at all; he was super good for the vet, even when she was checking out his wound, but he started making baby noises at me and asking for comfort feedings. Poor guy.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Taco got an antibiotic shot and some topical disinfectant for his injury. They didn't wrap it or anything since it's healing well. They want me to keep a close eye on him for the next week or so and bring him back in if necessary, but they sent him home with me today. He doesn't seem bothered at all; he was super good for the vet, even when she was checking out his wound, but he started making baby noises at me and asking for comfort feedings. Poor guy.
Thanks for the update

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
He' being such a sook now. He just wants to be hand-fed apple sauce and snuggle on my lap, holding onto my fingers.

It's such a sharp 180 from how he's been acting the past couple months, I feel like I have whiplash.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Glad you figured that out and got Taco to the vet and glad the vet gave him a prophylactic dose of antibiotics. That darned Pasteurella can really be bad - it almost killed Hank. Thank goodness Pasteurella is sensitive to a broad spectrum of antibiotics.

As for you Taco - will you please behave yourself!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I was younger my OCD made me hyper-obsessive about making sure my bedroom door was shut, so I came up with the idea of putting a piece of bright pink paper in the door jam so that when the door shut firmly, the paper was stuck and clearly visible, which helped me to stop compulsively checking and re-checking.

I think I'm going to bring that paper method back to make sure that I start ACTUALLY CLOSING DOORS BEHIND ME PROPERLY.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So glad you’re such an observant person and you don’t take chances. I hope the fast vet care and medication will stop any nasties before they have any affect on Tacos health.

Taco needs to stop being such a sticky beak, you don’t need anymore vet trips!

Never a dull moment at your place is there? Lol.

harpersmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ania
When I was younger my OCD made me hyper-obsessive about making sure my bedroom door was shut, so I came up with the idea of putting a piece of bright pink paper in the door jam so that when the door shut firmly, the paper was stuck and clearly visible, which helped me to stop compulsively checking and re-checking.

I think I'm going to bring that paper method back to make sure that I start ACTUALLY CLOSING DOORS BEHIND ME PROPERLY.
I'm so sorry for being late about this but...who is taco?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Who is Taco? :rofl: I guess better than What is Taco?

Maui was my guy that needed bubble wrap. He had stitches 3 times before he was a year old from falling. Bruises, broke his beak, ripped open his keel... UGH. Every other day he was bleeding from something. We foam padded the floor around him!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Is Taco doing any better now? I'm so sorry I missed this about him.