• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Taco may be dying **UPDATE** Taco is NOT dying

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's what we did. Once they got used to flapping down onto the bed I would sit on the bed and catch them on my arm with my husband tossing them. Once they were good with that we would toss them across the room to each other. Then tossing them to their stands... next.. they do it all by themselves.
Do you think the same technique could be applied to Java? I want to encourage him to fly without scaring him.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Do you think the same technique could be applied to Java? I want to encourage him to fly without scaring him.

If you can make a game of playing on the bed then yes, it could be applied to any bird.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you can make a game of playing on the bed then yes, it could be applied to any bird.
How would I go about doing that? Thus far, I don't think he knows how to play, and he hates hands

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It's the basics of all teaching. Breaking it down so small that they don't know they are learning.

Make your bed flat, throw a flat sheet on, a few toys and treats. Everyday let him play on the bed. Get to the point you can sit on the bed and have him take treats from you.

That would be step 1.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's the basics of all teaching. Breaking it down so small that they don't know they are learning.

Make your bed flat, throw a flat sheet on, a few toys and treats. Everyday let him play on the bed. Get to the point you can sit on the bed and have him take treats from you.

That would be step 1.
Do I remove him from the cage to do this? Otherwise, he won't voluntarily leave his cage

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I don't think you want to toss him in his cage...;) Guess first thing is get him to come out willingly then work on flight training when you think he's ready for that step. When Lurch started flying I just held up my arm and said c'mon, he really wanted to come to me so after a bit of thinking about it he started doing it. Another thing once you get the flying going teach him to fly down in case he ever escapes as most non parent raised birds have no clue how and are very scared to try.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, I'll work on convincing him to willingly come out of the cage. It won't be easy

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Everything crossed for Taco! Poor him and poor you - what a distressing experience for both of you!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
How's Taco this evening?
20180902_184122.jpg 20180902_184231.jpg

SO good! I've got my happy, goofball mac back. :xflove:
He's still being a major mama's boy and needs me to coddle and comfort feed him, but he's always a big baby.
He's not in pain anymore, and there's been no lasting damage done. He did his very best to become one with the wall, but Kitty Pryde he is not.
Now to teach him how to put that three-foot wingspan to proper use.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good to read that Taco is doing better.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
View attachment 285013 View attachment 285014

SO good! I've got my happy, goofball mac back. :xflove:
He's still being a major mama's boy and needs me to coddle and comfort feed him, but he's always a big baby.
He's not in pain anymore, and there's been no lasting damage done. He did his very best to become one with the wall, but Kitty Pryde he is not.
Now to teach him how to put that three-foot wingspan to proper use.

Great news!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Awesome, going from he's done to he's his happy goofy self again is a great outcome and I guess try to adjust things so he doesn't get a bad fright that makes him do a uncontrolled panic flight again if possible. Nerd was a horrible flyer and his flights almost always went FLAP... FLAP... FLAP... THUD!!! He had many a red bruised eye ring but never got knocked goofy.

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I can't wait to hear about when Taco gets his "pilot's license".:airplane:

Also...I cracked up a little too hard at the new title of this thread. ;) Glad your little man is recovering.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The new title is a bit cute and the best news ever. It is great to see he is feeling better, he needs a little crash helmet so he does not scare us like that again.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
So glad you baby is doing better. I know that would scare me half to death if something like that happened to one of my babies.

Take a breath and have a drink to relax might help calm your nerves a bit.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

:rofl: That picture is way better than the one I had in my mind :hehe:

I tell Burt every time he has a little crash that I will get him a crash helmet, now I have a picture to show him what he will look like :)