• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Taco may be dying **UPDATE** Taco is NOT dying

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Phew, so glad for good news. Hang in there, he'll be home soon.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Eloy also had a similar accident and he was fine, so keep your positive thinking, it will be fine. :)
Sending you hugs and positive and healing thoughts to Taco. ♥
:hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4:

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Taco Tuesday is home now. He's going to be taking it easy for a while, but the worst seems to have passed. He's still very snuggly and clingy, but he's had a long, stressful, scary day.
He's going to have some mash and mango chunks, and relax for the rest of the evening.
I'm gonna go pass out on the floor.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
So glad Taco is home.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Two pages of nail biting..........and two pages with good news..........I'm exhausted, but so relieved Taco is going to be just fine. I started to watch the video, but couldn't.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Taco Tuesday is home now. He's going to be taking it easy for a while, but the worst seems to have passed. He's still very snuggly and clingy, but he's had a long, stressful, scary day.
He's going to have some mash and mango chunks, and relax for the rest of the evening.
I'm gonna go pass out on the floor.

:hug8:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That is great to hear.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I almost did pass out on the floor when you posted this! I couldn't even get myself to watch your video.... nothing upsets me more than a blue & gold hurt or in pain.

So glad he is home... I'm guessing he is not a good flyer? Would foam padding or a blanket around his cage have helped?

When Maui was young we had a foam floor around his playstand. Granted he didn't always hit it but it did brace a few falls.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I almost did pass out on the floor when you posted this! I couldn't even get myself to watch your video.... nothing upsets me more than a blue & gold hurt or in pain.

So glad he is home... I'm guessing he is not a good flyer? Would foam padding or a blanket around his cage have helped?

When Maui was young we had a foam floor around his playstand. Granted he didn't always hit it but it did brace a few falls.
One thing I'm VERY glad for is that I have the floor of the bird room padded with foam tiles, because of Kamara's disability. Taco might have been hurt so much worse if he'd hit the wall and then crashed to the hardwood floor. He at least had a cushion and didn't do damage to his ribs or his legs or anything. Thank god.

That was the first time I ever saw Taco fly, and he didn't seem to really have any control over where he was going. Though he was spooked, it wasn't really like a bird startling and flying into a window trying to escape, he just literally couldn't brake once he was in the air, and he hit the wall. I've been trying to target train him, so he gradually learns to fly, but since he never tried I thought he might be one of those birds who doesn't know what his wings are for. I guess not!

He scared me so bad. I had to put the fids to bed a couple hours ago, and it's taking so much not to constantly go in and check on him and wake everybody up. I'm a shaking, snot-faced mess.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So glad he's back home.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He scared me so bad. I had to put the fids to bed a couple hours ago, and it's taking so much not to constantly go in and check on him and wake everybody up. I'm a shaking, snot-faced mess.

When you love them that much it's hurts double when they hurt.

That's why I have a camera system in almost every room. I can check on them even during lights out with night vision.

Once he is feeling better it might be time to start tossing him onto the bed. Make a game of it and get him to flap his wings. We have taught all our babies that way... Even Sambuca who I thought would never actually fly.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Taco has a mild concussion. He's doing okay, but he's being kept at the vet to make sure there's no lasting damage and that nothing goes awry. He's on an IV drip and an anti-inflammatory. He's very quiet and just wants to snuggle up in my arms; he gets very upset when I have to leave. However, he's regained his balance completely and his head tilt is gone.

The vet said his prognosis is very positive, but they're just working on the side of caution. There was a momentary scare when he wasn't responding to visual stimulus, but his eyesight came back quickly. She said he can go home later today if he doesn't go downhill, and she doesn't think he will.

I had to go home to feed and look after everybody, but I'll be at the vet most of the day, I'm sure. My poor boy.
Thank goodness that Taco will be ok.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
So very glad Taco is home!

:hug8: :hug8: :hug8:to you both.:)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Once he is feeling better it might be time to start tossing him onto the bed. Make a game of it and get him to flap his wings. We have taught all our babies that way... Even Sambuca who I thought would never actually fly.
That's a genius way to teach them... I've always had smaller birds and I would just get them to jump to me from their perch to mine (or to my hand/arm). I like your method.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
That's a genius way to teach them... I've always had smaller birds and I would just get them to jump to me from their perch to mine (or to my hand/arm). I like your method.

That's what we did. Once they got used to flapping down onto the bed I would sit on the bed and catch them on my arm with my husband tossing them. Once they were good with that we would toss them across the room to each other. Then tossing them to their stands... next.. they do it all by themselves.