• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Taco may be dying **UPDATE** Taco is NOT dying

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
A moment ago, a car backfired on the street while Taco was playing on top of his cage, and he leapt into the air in shock and flew head-first into the wall.

He seemed fine (if a little dazed) when I picked him up, and he asked to go back into his cage, as he always does when he gets hurt or upset. He got a drink, and then he started doing this.

Right after I stopped filming, he keeled backward and fell to the bottom of his cage, so weak and disoriented that I had to scoop him up under his belly, as he couldn't move his legs to step up or untangle himself from the grate.

He's on my lap now as I get his travel carrier ready for the emergency vet. He seems to have regained his balance and his control over his body, but obviously I'm not okay.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Get a heating pad and hold him and let him calm down. If you are very concerned you can go to the Vet. Is he alert now?

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
I have no idea, except to get him to the vet asap!
:sadhug2:Sorry about what you're going through- hopefully taco will be just fine :fingerscrossed:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope that Taco will be OK. Sending positive thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated and have a safe trip to the vet's office.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
No heating pad not for a possible head injury.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He has suffered head trauma (and possible neurological damage). It will be touch and go for at least 24 hours. Go to the vet please.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, poor Taco! I pray he will be okay. Big hugs to you, hang in there.
:sadhug2:

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We're at the emergency vet now. I left immediately after I posted the thread. They've taken him into the back and I'm in the waiting room until they call me in.

When we were in the car it was like he was completely back to normal, and even pretty miffed about being in his carrier. But with my habit of freaking out over minor injuries, I wasn't about to let this slide. If he's fine and I'm keeping him from his sleep for no reason, he can bite me and snark at me until the cows come home. But we're staying here until I know one way or the other!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am glad you are at the vet!! How scary!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Keep us posted, head trauma is nothing to fool with birds or humans. I'm glad you beat feet to the ER vet.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bighug:
Hope he is ok.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry!! That video was painful to watch :( I'm glad he's acting better and is at the vets now. Zane had a couple episodes where he was out of it. But then would be normal again. I was never sure what caused it through. At least you known what happened so that's a bit of a start. I hope Taco makes a fully recovery. It's just so scary when these things happens. You, your family and Taco will be in my thoughts and prays