• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Taco is plucking and barbering again...

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Taco has a surprised look on his face as if he's trying to figure out what the heck he's sporting around his neck.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I don't fully understand all of what I'm told but the vet says he's generally healthy and she can't find a physical reason for his self-mutilating or barbering.
I do know what you're saying. Milton is the same way...and all the tests he had...including some I didn't know WERE tests came back inconclusive.

I was ready to poncho Milton (with ponchos also provided by @EkkieLu ) a couple of months ago. I even got Milty "used" to interacting with them...so then he began regrowing feathers...and outside of one instance where Milty pulled some new feathers out- when he was spooked by my wife letting him see a stuffed toy- he's let many new feathers grow back completely.

We are gladdened by his regrown feathers, but we are also cautious...we know that he could start the cycle at any time, for any reason...and every time, it gets worse...more feathers in more areas get pulled out....

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Have my fingers crossed Milton will never need to wear those ponchos! Way to go Milton!!!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Taco has a surprised look on his face as if he's trying to figure out what the heck he's sporting around his neck.
Harness training him last year made it much easier than I expected for him to accept the poncho, but he was definitely astounded once it was on. :embarassed:

I do know what you're saying. Milton is the same way...and all the tests he had...including some I didn't know WERE tests came back inconclusive.

I was ready to poncho Milton (with ponchos also provided by @EkkieLu ) a couple of months ago. I even got Milty "used" to interacting with them...so then he began regrowing feathers...and outside of one instance where Milty pulled some new feathers out- when he was spooked by my wife letting him see a stuffed toy- he's let many new feathers grow back completely.

We are gladdened by his regrown feathers, but we are also cautious...we know that he could start the cycle at any time, for any reason...and every time, it gets worse...more feathers in more areas get pulled out....
I'm so happy Milty is doing so well. :heart2:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
...now we have to get Taco moving in that direction...
Once the temps are high enough, I'm going to start bringing him out on day trips again. Being outside made him SO happy last year. No barbering or anything. Granted that may also have just been our honeymoon period as well.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Once the temps are high enough, I'm going to start bringing him out on day trips again. Being outside made him SO happy last year. No barbering or anything. Granted that may also have just been our honeymoon period as well.
Its almost 70' here today! Highest temp we've had all year! Unfortunately, its going to downpour any minute. Being outside again may be just what Taco needs to cheer him up again and get past that behavior....not that he doesn't look very handsome in his new poncho!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
..we also keep all of the stuffed animals out of his room...;)
I used to have a very cute white furry stuffed owl sitting on the window sill in their room... for about 5 minutes! Newt and Angel did a tag team on it. Then I just had a mess on the floor to clean up!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton adores going out with me...hopefully the weather will break soon...:fingerscrossed:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Cutest little fashionista! :xflove::xflove:

His fashion icon?