• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Syringe Training 101

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
We practise with carrot juice regularly

Emily only takes calcium liquid from a syringe (clear) and she gets held close to the chest just like Little Scooter to administer it.

bscootsyringe1.JPG

bscootsyringe2.JPG

chickiesyringe1.JPG

chickiesyringe2.JPG

jacksonsyringe.JPG

lscootsyringe.JPG

rudysyringe1.JPG

rudysyringe2.JPG

The syringe is inserted from the right if the bird is facing you due to the anatomy of the bird's digestive system (it is actually the bird's left side of the beak). I slowly push the plunger one drop at a time so that they don't aspirate the liquid due to a sudden movement. When I first started this game I would only have two or three drops max in the syringe because I wasn't very sure I could control the flow smoothly.
Aspiration is a serious matter so please be very very careful when you initiate this training. Never force the liquid.
Also be careful they don't bite the rather soft tip of the syringe off and swallow it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure you'll have jokes about big hands and hairy arms and such :huh: :lol:

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm starting to do this now too. I found out from the vet school that Cooper is very willing to take his meds if I just offer the syringe to him. I had no idea and had been toweling him and fighting with him all these years! He's convinced me that this is definitely the way to go with all the birds.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
Cakes :kiss2:

PeaceLoveDreamer

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jacqui
Awww I love how JoJo and Chickie sit on your hand together! So cute! I wish I could get my birds to use the syringe... normally they just pull away or take it thinking it is a toy.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I should start doing that.

I had to give meds by syringe to Piper a while back and I had to hold him close. Otherwise..well he would fly away ;)

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
My Zon and CAG are syringe trained. They go crazy when the see a syringe!

I love seeing your picture :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They look like they really like it!

Matt

deee

Avenue Veteran
So we should practice using a syringe in case we ever have to give them meds?.. where oh where would I find carrot juice? :/

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
So we should practice using a syringe in case we ever have to give them meds?.. where oh where would I find carrot juice? :/
I bet it doesn't have to be carrot juice :rolleyes: - and if you can't find it (we have it here in the produce section), you might consider getting a cheap juicer and making it yourself. I bet any fruit/vegetable juice with NO SUGAR ADDED would work :D (assuming the fruits/veggies are not toxic to birds) :D

iluvsunconure

Real Name
Raymond :]
i think i asked this before but where do you get a syringe so small like that? o_o

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
You can also get Tuberculin (the type Saroj uses) from pet supply warehouses. They are good to have around because they are marked in tenths of a cc and only hold one cubic centemeter (cc) of fluid. Really easy to use. I usually order my TB syringes from UPCO. But then I order my cat vaccines from them every year, as well.

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Darn just when I was sporadically giving Rika "treats" (organic baby food applesauce--no sugar) from a spoon..===so if I ever have to I can slip in meds. I think I"ll ask the vet for some (I had tons before with Maxie) syringes and start with those as well. Plus the new baby freaked seeing a spoon.

Good reminder and what an attractive bunch of actors for this public service spot.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Gah, you make it look SOOO easy! :p It really is a great idea, if your birds don’t think the syringe is evil. :hehe:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
such good boids!!!