• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sydney is rescued! His story

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Bless you!!!!!

Signed,
#1 Sydney fan

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Well, Mr. Sydney took another step in the right direction! He always hops onto my hand whenever I open up his cage. Last night when I opened up the door to change out his food bowl, he hopped on as usual, only this time I decided to take him even further away from his safety zone: the kitchen. He's always instantly amorous whenever I have him, but would always turn himself into a porcupine the further away I'd move from his beloved cage. But last night, he quickly stopped his flirting, looked around, and then resumed his behaviors while I went about my business of taking care of his food bowls. Took 2 trips to and from his cage to the kitchen and not one porcupine episode! I'd say he was a good 20 feet away from his cage!

This is going to become our even ritual from here on out. Once he's mastered this, then we'll work towards introducing a different room to him.
Sydney is feeling more secure about his surroundings..:yes4:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Holy cow, that's huge! I like how he seemed to take it all in stride, like it was no big deal after his initial inspection! :shocking: Who is this bird??

Sounds like you have a helper now, too! Buzzard "helps" me with dishes and birdie breakfast. :rolleyes: I tell him "Thank you for helping me. I don't know what I would do if I had two hands; I'd get done too fast!" Then we proceed to have a conversation of sorts where I ask him about his day then respond with uh huh's and really?'s to all of his sounds.

:fairy2:Now whenever I have my helper I will picture you with yours. :cheer: Go Sydney!!!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Holy cow, that's huge! I like how he seemed to take it all in stride, like it was no big deal after his initial inspection! :shocking: Who is this bird??

Sounds like you have a helper now, too! Buzzard "helps" me with dishes and birdie breakfast. :rolleyes: I tell him "Thank you for helping me. I don't know what I would do if I had two hands; I'd get done too fast!" Then we proceed to have a conversation of sorts where I ask him about his day then respond with uh huh's and really?'s to all of his sounds.

:fairy2:Now whenever I have my helper I will picture you with yours. :cheer: Go Sydney!!!
I used to do the same with Nerd bird and we had the greatest conversations even if it was all in wild Pionus.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Good job Sidney.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thought I'd share a few more pics of Sydney. This is a pic of what Sydney loves doing most. He gets a fresh cardboard strip to destroy every day.
Sydney1.jpg
As soon as he realized I'd opened the door to his cage, over he ran!

sydney2.jpg

This one makes my heart sing! I am holding Sydney all the way on the other side of the room and he's completely relaxed! His cage is in the far corner with the door open.
sydney3.jpg

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Awesome!!! He's come so far!!:cheer:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Excellent! :dance4:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Such a happy confident guy he's become! :starshower:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yay yayyyyyy yayyyyyy!!!!!

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Exactly one year ago today my son rescued our Sydney! Sydney had been locked inside a makeshift shaft with poor ventilation on a day where temperatures soared above 116 degrees. He was emaciated, panting, without any food or water, and there was evidence everywhere of rat infestation. His Walmart seed was stored in an open bucket. The rats would come through chewed out screens every single night to dine on the seed and crawl all over his cage. It's a miracle those rats never chewed on Sydney.

Inside Sydney's cage was a single wood dowel. No toys. No food or water. No anything.

Since his rescue, Sydney has come a LONG way! Although he still dislikes men, he absolutely adores me! All I have to do is approach his cage and he immediately starts doing his love dance!
It took many, many months before Sydney was comfortable coming out of his cage. He'd been locked inside that shack for many years without any direct human contact whatsoever. I marvel at his resilience each and every day!

When toys were first introduced to Sydney, he would make them swing back and forth while he'd lower his head, giving him self scritches! To this day Sydney will freely step up, allow me to massage his toes, but he's still very shy towards hands touching or stroking him. To this day Sydney has never bit me! Not even once, which I attribute to my taking things at a snails pace, also known as Grey time!

Sydney loves all fruits and veggies! He transitioned very quickly onto fresh foods, which really surprised me. He's actually my best eater of the bunch!

Sydney only says a few words, but he's a master of sounds! Miter saws, the next door neighbor's dogs yapping :headsmack:, refrigerator dings, phone rings, you name it. If the sound is one that's interesting, Sydney has already picked it up! Sydney makes us smile by the sounds he comes up with. He'll sing and whistle along with you and is one very happy guy.

Sydney's cage is front and center by the window so that he can always look out and see the world around him. There's lots of stimuli going on all around him

Sydney loves, loves, loves to shred anything paper. Every day he receives a small sheet of cardboard to destroy. He will work through the entire sheet in one sitting. My husband and I chuckle, saying we don't even need our paper shredder with Sydney in the house.

If you are new to this thread, please visit the first few pages to see what life had been like before Sydney's rescue. 20190704_093054.jpg 20190704_093221.jpg 20190310_175203.jpg

Happy gotcha day, Sydney! So grateful to have you sharing your life with us.

My love for you grows daily.:heart:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Exactly one year ago today my son rescued our Sydney! Sydney had been locked inside a makeshift shaft with poor ventilation on a day where temperatures soared above 116 degrees. He was emaciated, panting, without any food or water, and there was evidence everywhere of rat infestation. His Walmart seed was stored in an open bucket. The rats would come through chewed out screens every single night to dine on the seed and crawl all over his cage. It's a miracle those rats never chewed on Sydney.

Inside Sydney's cage was a single wood dowel. No toys. No food or water. No anything.

Since his rescue, Sydney has come a LONG way! Although he still dislikes men, he absolutely adores me! All I have to do is approach his cage and he immediately starts doing his love dance!
It took many, many months before Sydney was comfortable coming out of his cage. He'd been locked inside that shack for many years without any direct human contact whatsoever. I marvel at his resilience each and every day!

When toys were first introduced to Sydney, he would make them swing back and forth while he'd lower his head, giving him self scritches! To this day Sydney will freely step up, allow me to massage his toes, but he's still very shy towards hands touching or stroking him. To this day Sydney has never bit me! Not even once, which I attribute to my taking things at a snails pace, also known as Grey time!

Sydney loves all fruits and veggies! He transitioned very quickly onto fresh foods, which really surprised me. He's actually my best eater of the bunch!

Sydney only says a few words, but he's a master of sounds! Miter saws, the next door neighbor's dogs yapping :headsmack:, refrigerator dings, phone rings, you name it. If the sound is one that's interesting, Sydney has already picked it up! Sydney makes us smile by the sounds he comes up with. He'll sing and whistle along with you and is one very happy guy.

Sydney's cage is front and center by the window so that he can always look out and see the world around him. There's lots of stimuli going on all around him

Sydney loves, loves, loves to shred anything paper. Every day he receives a small sheet of cardboard to destroy. He will work through the entire sheet in one sitting. My husband and I chuckle, saying we don't even need our paper shredder with Sydney in the house.

If you are new to this thread, please visit the first few pages to see what life had been like before Sydney's rescue. View attachment 309029 View attachment 309030 View attachment 309031

Happy gotcha day, Sydney! So grateful to have you sharing your life with us.

My love for you grows daily.:heart:

Happy Gotcha Day Sydney! I have tears in my eyes I’m so happy you were rescued!