• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Syd, U2, 30, 29 years together

Patience

Meeting neighbors
We have taken our Syd friend places all our shared lives. She travels well, came from California to North Carolina and back to Indiana in a travel cage I built for her when my military enlistment ended.

Syd likes a view and we found a sturdy cage more suitable for longer trips. Took her with us to visit my childhood friend. 9 hour drive.

Sorry for cruddy pics. But notice the toy she has.

See the toy in the shot below? Syd routinely tucks her toys away safely - often very creatively! She had no trouble getting that toy in and out of her stash spot and did so all the way to Arkansas.

Travel cage is a bit much to carry around but we felt good about being able to secure it for the trip. Creatively. Cockatoo will shred her seat belt (and open cage doors) just because she can.

We ordered a mid-size cage online, upgrade from one we use visiting friends and family. Assembled it in the living room in front of Syd and packed it for a ten day visit.

We just rent a panel van. We took the 20+ year old cats and the bird. Boarded the dogs. Neighbor tended the younger cats for us.

Syd spent some time with the youngest potential future person, (about a year old, watched very closely by multiple adults) and generally had a great vacation.

We tried using the travel cage as a sleep cage. Third night Syd refused. Sleeping people are boring I guess. Ever argue with a cockatoo? I lost. Our friends managed not to laugh. Mostly.

Apparently I have misplaced the pics of Syd IN the mid-size cage. Syd was comfortable enough and had a wonderful time but she was happy to get back home to her big cage!

Guess I can copy our intro post here? Keep it together?

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I love it. Monaco also likes to travel and see new people and places. I don't go many places, but her previous owner did.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Syd looks like a sweety! Welcome to AA!!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Loved your intro and your pics of Syd:heart:

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
That's great! We've done a lot of the same with our cockatoo - a 30 year old eleonora. Her "car seat" is either a converted parakeet cage or a fold-up travel cage that I've had for all of her 30 years. Beaker had a beak injury as a chick, so she can't destroy anything, which makes traveling with her a bit easier I imagine. She's been from the Atlantic to the Pacific, and has even went camping with us before we had kids.