• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Swollen Toe/Talon

Damnielle

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Danielle
Hey everyone ✌ I'm new here....
Im a longtime GCC mum... I've had Aqua for 20+ years now... 20220307_143308.jpg 20220307_143306.jpg 20220307_143302.jpg

In that time he's never had anything like what's just happened.... Happen. I noticed his little thumb / talon is very swollen. I carefully checked him out...and he doesn't seem to be agitated or even bothered. Didn't flinch or yelp when I touched the swollen area. It seems possibly broken, but it is swollen...and I'm quite worried...
I want to take Aqua to an actual Avian Dr and not just to the animal hospital.
But there's nothing, available until (maybe) Friday.... So, in the meantime, I've moved around his cage for easier access to his things, etc....
It could also be the bands maybe, I've heard this sometimes occurs...but he's not messing with his hand at all... it's just kind of hanging there swollen...and I'm very worried.

Does anyone know anything about or have had experience with this? Someone can maybe help ease my mind a bit, or even if need be just - refer me to the non avian medical assistance.
Please halp! I'm seriously losing it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Are all of his perches dowels like that? Over time they can cause foot issues which is why I ask. I've never seen anything quite like it! Certainly looks concerning but it's good he doesn't seem to be in pain.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor baby boy,I've never seen anything like that either but I wonder if maybe he has a foreign body in that toe specifically like a sliver of wood or other small puncture of some type causing it to be isolated to that toe.

Damnielle

Real Name
Danielle
Are all of his perches dowels like that? Over time they can cause foot issues which is why I ask. I've never seen anything quite like it! Certainly looks concerning but it's good he doesn't seem to be in pain.
Yes, he issues those dowels quite frequently... but travels all over his home. He really likes his little hanging teepees..teepee... so I'm going he favors those while in this condition.... thanks for your input :)

A.K

Sprinting down the street
Yes, he issues those dowels quite frequently... but travels all over his home. He really likes his little hanging teepees..teepee... so I'm going he favors those while in this condition.... thanks for your input :)
Hold on - hanging teepees? Do you mean Happy Huts?

Damnielle

Real Name
Danielle
Poor baby boy,I've never seen anything like that either but I wonder if maybe he has a foreign body in that toe specifically like a sliver of wood or other small puncture of some type causing it to be isolated to that toe.
That's a really good point)))
I did try looking for a puncture or bite, but it was slightly difficult.... in the meantime>> (will try again)! Thanks so much, I try and think of all the things while in a situation... right now my thoughts just can't catch up with my emotions)

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
There may be a thread wrapped around the knuckle on that toe... though I'd think he'd be bothered by it.

MarimaChan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marissa
Try to soak its foot in some warm water with some epsom salt for at least 5-10 mins this should help with the swelling and pain, this is what I did for my mini macaw

MarimaChan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marissa
Try to soak its foot in some warm water with some epsom salt for at least 5-10 mins this should help with the swelling and pain, this is what I did for my mini macaw
How is your bird doing now, is their toe still swollen?