• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Swollen (possibly sprained) toe in baby mourning dove

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringo

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, I have a baby mourning dove that I rescued during the hurricane in NY. I successfully took care of it for a week and now it is getting ready to be weaned off formula. My question is this, today I found that the middle toe on the foot has a swelling, like a ball, at the top of the toe where it connects to the foot. The rest of the toe is normal sized and so is the foot. She does walk on it and appears to be able to bend the toe regardless and grip with it. But when she lies down she does rest sideways a bit, and uses her wing for support against the ground I guess so she could take weight off of it. My guess is she landed wrong or hit a wall when she tried to fly and sprained it. Does this seem probable? Is there anything I can do or should i just leave it alone, not let her fly around and jump around, and watch it carefully so it doesn't get worse?

Here is the picture of her toe. Let me know what you think- Ringo MMS_Resized_Pix.jpeg

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Can you get her foot into some cool water to take down the swelling? Can you gently check to see if it might be broken? If it isn't broken just sprained I would call the vet or a rehab facility to see if they think it should be wrapped for stability. If so maybe you can take her in and they can show you how to do it. They can also give you an anti-flametory and some medicine for pain if they think she needs it.

Ginger

Ringo

I don't really want to do that only because it is kind of illegal for me to have her, so I am afraid of what might happen, as in her getting taken away from me. I am researching different splinting techniques, trying to figure out how to do it best, The swelling isn't really going up anymore and I think it's not the worst injury because when she sits on a perch she doesn't favor the other one by MUCH. If anyone has any splinting techniques to share please do. Thanks!

RebeccaPearce

Meeting neighbors
I can't say what the laws are in NY. I'm in California so the info below is based on laws here.

I work at a wild bird rescue center. You are right that if you take it to a rehab center they will most likely take it away from you. You could try anonymously calling around to a few avian vets to see if any of them would look at it. The issue with keeping wildlife as pets (at least in CA) is that once they are imprinted to people they will not survive on their own. Also, if someone becomes mad at you and knows you have the bird they could call authorities and have the bird taken away at which point it would probably be euthanized. I'd hate to see you get really attached to it and have that happen.

With all that said, I don't think the foot looks too bad at all. If the bird is using it and gripping with it I wouldn't splint it at all. Just keep an eye on it and make sure it's not getting worse and it can continue to move it.

Best wishes for the little one.

Ringo

Yes I do realize. But there was no nest to be found mid-hurricane, and the baby was mostly unfeathered an completely not ready to be on it's own. It would have probably died through the heavy rain. But other than the foot the baby is healthy and eating splendidly. She eats seeds and gravel like a pro already and I was graduating her to a small cage with perches close to the floor. She also flies so so well already. But she is very very flighty and clumsy which is probably how the injury came about. I will most likely keep her. I have in plans to put her in a very large flight cage when she grows up, about 2 x 3' x 4' high. Maybe get a ring neck for company. Thanks for the encouragement, I hope the foot does well. I will see if the swelling goes down any later on and tomorrow. When perching, she does not favor teh other foot all that much and doesn't stay on one at all. I hope she'll be ok. For now, back to a solid wall box with floor rope perches.:)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am not trying to be rude and know that you love the baby but maybe taking her to a rehaber is best. That way she could get veterinary care and would still have a good life.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.