• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Swollen foot on cockatiel

ina

Moving in
Hello! I have a cockatiel living with us since 17 years ago when she flied into my house. She's been fine in the first 14-5 years until she got cataract on her left eye (actually both eyes but her left eye is worsening faster). We brought her to the vet and have been given medicine (Meloxicam) from that on since her eyes were so painful that she lost her appetite. And since she had once got the problem of stuck eggs, she's been given injections for hormones control every 2 months as well.

Recently after a review from the vet, I found her standing on one foot more often and it's always her right foot being tucked inside her feathers, making her standing most of the time only by her deformed left foot (we don't know if the deformation was congenital or was it broken before she reached our house). The vet told us no matter what caused the deformation, there's a high chance for her to get arthritis when she gets older. And I noticed her left leg is not holding on my finger as tight as the other one does since the day she came. So it's warning to me when she was constantly using her deformed left leg only.

2 days later I checked on her again and found her right feet looks a bit swollen and a little bit too red comparing to the other feet. I read that kidney disease can lead to leg problems (and it matches the symptoms too since she has been pooping watery poop for at least a month). I immediately brought her to the vet and got her doing the x-ray and blood test, turns out the kidney is not functioning well and there's some highly-densed stuff inside her body. The vet said it could be a piece of metal or some calcium stuff. He couldn't be sure since it's not suggested to take it out through surgery (i wouldn't want a surgery on her either). The thing is that if the bird is poisoned by metal, it could cause similar symptoms as a kind of kidney disease as the kidney tries hard to expel the metal.

He gave us some DMSA capsule to try to absorb that stuff. It would work if it's really something metallic. For the foot he said it's simply arthritis so he also gave us some antibiotics to treat it. The DMSA is to be taken 2 times a day until the next review 2 weeks later while the antibiotics are going to be consumed once a day for 21 days. The Meloxicam however must be stopped since it would be a huge burden on her kidney. The vet said they're going to do the x-ray and blood test again in the next review to see if the DMSA really worked.

Things were normal since we brought her back and she looks alright. She's been eating, asking for being scrubbed on the crest, coming out of the cage whenever she wanted, preening at a high speed and screaming for notice when humans were in the bathroom or kitchen for too long. Everything seems fine but I noticed there's some new issue on her right feet. There's a white stuff growing on one of her toes. And today it had even turned a little dark. I have no idea if it's something bad but I also don't want to bring her to the vet that often that could increase her stress level (she's only been back for a mere 5 days and she looked really upset after staying one night in the vet when we went to take her). My mum said the dark thing could be caused by bleeding since she found some blood on the pole in her cage.

I'm really worried if it's some kind of new issue like tumor. Have anyone seen this before? Will it disappear eventually without treatment? Please let me know what you think so I can decide if I should bring her back to the vet again before the review. Thank you so much in advance.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Have no real idea what that could be, but since its at the base of the nail I wonder if she might have caught it on something and pulled to hard to get it loose, causing a blood blister under the skin

Reactions: ina

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
My first thought was gout before the high uric acid pic. Might be something to consider asking your vet. It can be very painful. I have used rehmannia to lower high levels per Dr. Orosz. For arthritis, ask about tumeric... and glucosamine.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If that's a tiny piece of metal something in that x ray. You can help her pass it with baby formula mixed with a little peanut butter, the peanut butter will help grab a hold of it and move it out. You'll have inspect every single poop and smear it to find if the piece has passed. As for the foot, could be a little infection starting there...it could be a " blood blister ", like another said
The antibiotic should help with that..Hope shes ok, keep us updated.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My first thought was gout before the high uric acid pic. Might be something to consider asking your vet. It can be very painful. I have used rehmannia to lower high levels per Dr. Orosz. For arthritis, ask about tumeric... and glucosamine.
My thought, too, was possible gout. Check with your vet regarding gout medication such as allopurinol (zyloprim) which is used to lower the uric acid levels. Gout can exhibit itself externally but can also affect a bird internally causing damage to organs.
I hope that all will be well with your bird.

ina

Moving in
@Donna turner @webchirp @Birdbabe @iamwhoiam Thank you so much for replying!

I was so worried so I went back home to check on her during lunch break and have found one more white stuff on another toe. I’ve already booked the vet for examination (luckily there’s one session available today)

I’ll update you guys when I’m back. Thank you again this is the first time I feel being supported <3

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Donna turner @webchirp @Birdbabe @iamwhoiam Thank you so much for replying!

I was so worried so I went back home to check on her during lunch break and have found one more white stuff on another toe. I’ve already booked the vet for examination (luckily there’s one session available today)

I’ll update you guys when I’m back. Thank you again this is the first time I feel being supported <3

Hoping for the best.

ina

Moving in
Hi I've juz got back home from the vet.

So the vet examined her and said it could be that the antibiotics are working so the bacteria is being gathered in a specific part of her feet, forming the black and white stuff. Or it could be, as some of you suggested, gout bcoz of her high level of uric acid.
He didn't think it's a good idea to take samples from the swollen part since it would require general anesthesia and she's already an old bird. So we're unable to know what exactly caused it.

I have also told him that she had been eating BUT she often climbed back up to the pole after eating some, and after few minutes she climbed back down to the bottom of the cage to start eating again. I wonder if it's bcoz she doesn't feel well in the leg thus couldn't stand at the bottom of the cage for long but the vet said it's quite unlikely. The more possible explanation is that she's been experiencing nausea caused by kidney problem. Her weight had dropped quite a lot as well from 81g to 75g within a mere 6 days, which could also be caused by the loss of protein alongside with the watery poop.

He gave us some allopurinol nonetheless. We will have to feed her all three kinds of medicines at the same period of time. The use of antibiotics is also being extended by 4 days (which was supposed to be finished tmr). He told us to hand feed her from now on to make sure she is able to gain back weight. We will have to measure her weight once every 2 days and if it keeps on dropping in the coming few days, we will have to immediatedly bring her back for reviewing and she'll probably be kept in the hospital for a couple of days for more intense treatment.

I'm not yet relieved since it's uncertain if she would get well but I'll do my best to keep her happy and comfortable. She had been preening fiercely despite the taxi was driving fast and unsteadily. I guess it's a sign that she's still feeling okay and that makes me smile.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Having older babies can be wonderful and traumatic all at the same time. Thoughts and prayers for you both. :sadhug2:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you for the update, hope she continues to improve. :hug8:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope she keeps improving!

ina

Moving in
Update: It's been 4 days since the last review and her weight had dropped from 75g to a lower 72g...She's clearly less active day after day and she would be really grumpy and bite us without holding back when we want her up to the finger. She insists on not getting up left us frustrated coz we need to take her out of the cage in order to hand-feed her. She is not eating much too. I observed her all day and saw her eating like third times for five minutes each only today. I called the vet and the nurse told us to bring her to the vet asap coz she needs intense treatment now. But since there's no bird-expertise on duty until tmr and we wouldn't want her to suffer from more stress from staying overnight in the vet, we decided to bring her to the hospital tmr noon.

Note: her poop had got more and more watery. Her right eye had got a bit swollen and watery too like the primary state of cataract that her left eye had before. Idk if it's bcoz we stopped feeding her Meloxicam so the condition of her left eye got worse fast.
Note2: there's still some time she grooms herself in a normal speed and she bites paper like she wants to kill it. She still makes those sweet sounds when we rub her crest.

Will see what the vet is going to say tmr. I know what i'm going to hear would not be pleasant but I'm trying my best to be prepared.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope that the vet can figure something out that will help her. Sending positive thoughts her way and hoping that things will go OK at the vet's tomorrow.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Just wanted to welcome you and tell you I'm so glad you are feeling supported now. It's so sad when our loved sweeties have so many medical conditions. You are doing so much for yours, and I just wanted to send healing thoughts and prayers! :heart:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry she’s not showing more improvement. I hope the vet goes well and something can be figured out. I will send healing thoughts your way.

ina

Moving in
Thank you for the kind words. I feel so so lucky finding this forum where I can find many information about health issues of birds and feel supported T-T

I've juz got back from the vet. The vet we met was not an avian expert sadly so she couldn't comment much on the medication or such. She listened to her lungs and chest nonetheless and confirmed they sound normal. But she agrees that her weight had dropped too rapidly so it's definitely recommended to leave her in the hospital for more frequent hand-feeding and closer monitoring. They're gonna call us every morning before 10am for daily report until Wednesday when the avian expert is back from holiday and then he will decide if she's strong enough to do the x-ray and blood testing according to the original schedule. I too believe it's best to let the nurses feed her coz she had been fighting so much when we fed her that I don't think we managed to feed her enough amount of food. Since the vet said there's nth more they can do for an old bird who has a failing kidney, the best that we can do is to help her gain back her weight and I'm sure they can do better than us.

PS. Birdy (yes this is her name btw) preened a bit when she was being examined in the cage and she bite off the blood stain on one of her swollen toes and it started to bleed. It was bleeding a bit this morning too when we took her out of the cage for feeding. I really hope it's gonna stop bleeding soon. I'm sure the vet will do sth about it.

(The blood she left on my shoulder when she stood there for a bit after the examination)

PS2. My mum started accompanying me to the vet and I can see she's as worried as I am now. She had been opposing my idea of bringing Birdy to the vet that often before and I'm really glad she finally understands. Now I feel stronger with her by my side.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I know it must have been hard for you to leave her in the hospital. I’m glad your mom is being so supportive, and I’m still sending healing thoughts Birdy’s way.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope that they will be able to help her. Sending positive thoughts her way.

ina

Moving in
My mum had juz called me that Birdy had passed away this morning in the vet. The nurse said they found her breathing a bit too fast at 9am and when the doctor was there to check her, she'd already passed away. The nurse said she didn't struggle so she probably didn't suffer and passed peacefully. I kno being diagnosed a kidney failure means that she's not gonna live very long and I'm kind of prepared what is coming but I'm still feeling guilty for letting her last moment being spent in the vet instead of our home. But knowing that she didn't suffer also makes me relieved (I guess if we found her breathing heavily at home we'll rush her to the vet which makes her stressful). We've juz made an appointment at noon so we can get the report and discuss the work we have to do after. I'm going to cry like a baby (I already am, hope I didn't scare my colleagues) on my way to the vet but knowing that my mum will be waiting for me there makes me somewhat better. I would definitely go crazy if I had to do it alone.

Thank you everyone who had replied in this thread. Your kind words and support helps me accepting the fact better. I'm going to post a proper post in Highway to Heaven (You have no idea how browsing that board had helped me emotionally in the past few days). I understand every thing has an end and nth can live forever. I'll have to do my best to adapt to the new environment without Birdy's presence and luckily I'm not the only one who needs to do that so I haven't lost every thing yet. Thank you again and sending lots of love and support to those lil ones who are still fighting for their health being.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm so sorry. :sorrow: