• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Swollen cloaca

Is my bird gravid

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Hey guys, I have four lovebirds and one has layed 3 clutches in the past four years but the other three are either male or to young I have 2 that are about a year old. Anyway one of the year old birds seems to have something wrong with them, I think she might be about to lay an egg but Im not sure. Her cloaca seems swollen. It’s been like this over night. I don’t know what this is and need help, is the vent suppose to look like this? I haven’t encouraged mating behavior either. She has been taking food from her brother and ripping paper which I know is nesting behavior. I am kind freaking out can anyone help me? thanks. I’ve attached a dropping pic as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When you look at the bird from the side, do you see an egg shaped bump?

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Hey guys, I have four lovebirds and one has layed 3 clutches in the past four years but the other three are either male or to young I have 2 that are about a year old. Anyway one of the year old birds seems to have something wrong with them, I think she might be about to lay an egg but Im not sure. Her cloaca seems swollen. It’s been like this over night. I don’t know what this is and need help, is the vent suppose to look like this? I haven’t encouraged mating behavior either. She has been taking food from her brother and ripping paper which I know is nesting behavior. I am kind of freaking out can anyone help me? thanks. I’ve attached a dropping pic as well. Thank you so much

Attachments

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hard to tell if she currently has an egg because of the angle, but her posture seems to be that of a hen that may lay soon, the arched rump and dropped wings. I would monitor her closely. Keep a check on her weight.
Watch out for things like lack of appetite, loss of balance, lethargy, weight loss, vomiting. If you notice any of those things, head to the vet.

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Hard to tell if she currently has an egg because of the angle, but her posture seems to be that of a hen that may lay soon, the arched rump and dropped wings. I would monitor her closely. Keep a check on her weight.
Watch out for things like lack of appetite, loss of balance, lethargy, weight loss, vomiting. If you notice any of those things, head to the vet.
Ok I will thanks so much for your help, these birds mean so much to me, being able do discuss my worries with a more experienced bird owner always helps.:)

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She has gained weight, she weight 60 grams, is that typical of a gravid lovebird?
Are you Swedish?
As the hen gets hormonal and she can sometimes gain weight. My girls always weigh a little more as they try to build nests ready for eggs.
As for if she has an egg right now (Gravid), I do not know off the pictures alone. A hen takes 24-48 hours to lay an egg. Once you see the egg shaped bump, she will usually pass the egg later that day or the following day.
As it is her first egg, keep a close eye on her, remember to inspect the egg to check for calcium deficiences (abnormalities in the egg shell - lines, strange shape, thin/fragile, too small).

If you are unsure at any time, and you feel something is wrong, or you see worrying behaviour, take her to the vet.

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Are you Swedish?
As the hen gets hormonal and she can sometimes gain weight. My girls always weigh a little more as they try to build nests ready for eggs.
As for if she has an egg right now (Gravid), I do not know off the pictures alone. A hen takes 24-48 hours to lay an egg. Once you see the egg shaped bump, she will usually pass the egg later that day or the following day.
As it is her first egg, keep a close eye on her, remember to inspect the egg to check for calcium deficiences (abnormalities in the egg shell - lines, strange shape, thin/fragile, too small).

If you are unsure at any time, and you feel something is wrong, or you see worrying behaviour, take her to the vet.
Ok great thanks so much, and no, I am not swedish, why do you ask?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I am not swedish, why do you ask?
The word ¨Gravid¨ - sorry I do not understand it. I put it in the translator and came back as Swedish for ¨pregnant¨, so I have answered thinking you are asking if she has an egg inside currently. (I hope I got that right)

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The word ¨Gravid¨ - sorry I do not understand it. I put it in the translator and came back as Swedish for ¨pregnant¨, so I have answered thinking you are asking if she has an egg inside currently. (I hope I got that right)
Your interpretation is correct (the definition - it’s a word we use in English, too).

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Huh interesting... I thought it was English!:laughing2:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looks preggo to me , ... but hard to tell from the pics, did you just notice this? Can you gently feel her lower belly? If you can feel a "" hard bump" ..or a soft swollen area,,hard bump means egg is coming quickly, soft swollen means egg is moving down the vent..increased calcium, liquids, A safe quiet place to lay, if she is eggie, she wont lay, unless she feels safe.. if no egg in 48 hours then vet time, if she is preggo, hope eggie somes soon, normally and quickly.

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Also remember Lovebirds get “pregnant” for 9 days before laying the 1st egg. Then it’s every 36-48h.

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Oh ok, so it could be 8 days until she actually lays?
Yes, did you saw her mating? As laying day approaches her “egg belly” will get slightly bigger. If she lays an egg in 36-48h then it’s because she mated several days ago. Since her brother is feeding her that means they are a bonded pair. Which means they mated.

Last edited:

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Yes, did you saw her mating? As laying day approaches her “egg belly” will get slightly bigger. If she lays an egg in 36-48h then it’s because she mated several days ago. Since her brother is feeding her that means they are a bonded pair. Which means they mated.
Ok, i never saw them mate but here brother has been feeding her for a little over a week, so by that logic, the egg should come within the next three days? And thank you so much for your help! :)