• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Swollen cloaca

Is my bird gravid

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Ok, i never saw them mate but here brother has been feeding her for a little over a week, so by that logic, the egg should come within the next three days? And thank you so much for your help! :)
They usually don’t like to be seen when they mate lol. So when they hear a noise they act like nothing happened XD...

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase
Haha! That’s great :laughing2: every now and then I‘ll turn the corner and see my other lovebirds mating. I can tell they’re uncomfortable with me being there:laughing2:. Thanks again for your help!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Just because two birds are feeding each other or one is laying an egg doesn't mean that they've mated... single hens lay eggs all the time!

It does look like she's 'with egg' and may lay one soon.

That said, if she doesn't lay an egg soon or her behavior changes (lethargic, not pooping, etc) then it's time to see a vet. Hormonal imbalances and infections can also result in "poofy" butts. (I would doubt these last two considering age, but throwing it out there as a possibility!)

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Just because two birds are feeding each other or one is laying an egg doesn't mean that they've mated... single hens lay eggs all the time!
Well true but bonded pairs do tend to mate.
Yeah totally agreed
That said, if she doesn't lay an egg soon or her behavior changes (lethargic, not pooping, etc) then it's time to see a vet. Hormonal imbalances and infections can also result in "poofy" butts. (I would doubt these last two considering age, but throwing it out there as a possibility!)
Yes it’s possible..

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Well true but bonded pairs do tend to mate.
I think my adelie and sydney are a good example of that not always being the case. He feeds her and cares for her, they preen each other, they tend to the nest together... but mating really is not their strong suit.

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase

Ok thank you so much

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I agree with Zara, those signs point to egg-booty.
They usually don’t like to be seen when they mate lol. So when they hear a noise they act like nothing happened XD...
Gosh, I don't think that'd be the case if Rupert had a bird mate. If he's "grooving", and you happen to be in the room, he'll lock eyes with you while he does his thing. I do my best to not make eye contact and ignore him. :cautious:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Gosh, I don't think that'd be the case if Rupert had a bird mate. If he's "grooving", and you happen to be in the room, he'll lock eyes with you while he does his thing. I do my best to not make eye contact and ignore him. :cautious:
I missed that quote about mating. All of my birds are like Rupert. If you wanna watch, be their guest, none are shy. Lapis and Nube don´t like strangers and started doing their thing when my friend and her husband were here picking her birds up, they were sure to keep eyes on us all throughout.
The only exception was when Adelie and Sydney first were hitting it off, they would go to the corner and he would feed her, but would come running over if they thought I was looking :lol:
When I hear those little sounds, I just keep my eyes on my computer and let them have a little privacy.... though there are often spectaters of the feathered kind, which they also couldn´t care less about.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I missed that quote about mating. All of my birds are like Rupert. If you wanna watch, be their guest, none are shy. Lapis and Nube don´t like strangers and started doing their thing when my friend and her husband were here picking her birds up, they were sure to keep eyes on us all throughout.
The only exception was when Adelie and Sydney first were hitting it off, they would go to the corner and he would feed her, but would come running over if they thought I was looking :lol:
When I hear those little sounds, I just keep my eyes on my computer and let them have a little privacy.... though there are often spectaters of the feathered kind, which they also couldn´t care less about.
It's not that they don't mind, it's that they trafficked into this life of voyeurism by Madam Zara.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
When I had Hannah & Chester they mated only when I wasn’t around lol if I was around they pretend they did nothing lol... one time i walk up to them at night... cause I heard noise lol omg what I saw was wow. When they realized I was watching they jumped a part like you didn’t saw a thing!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
The word ¨Gravid¨ - sorry I do not understand it. I put it in the translator and came back as Swedish for ¨pregnant¨, so I have answered thinking you are asking if she has an egg inside currently. (I hope I got that right)
Gravid is used alot with reptiles, moreover than most other animals, so it's unlikely most people would have come across the word.

Chase Hein

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chase

Her droppings have been very watery which scares me, could that be part of a hormonal imbalance? if so could it be fatal?

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Her droppings have been very watery which scares me, could that be part of a hormonal imbalance? if so could it be fatal?
Vet now! :/ watery poops could mean infection also depending on what she has been eating...and with an egg inside it’s very dangerous. What’s the poop color?

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It is hard to comment as we are not there in person.

How does the poops compare to your bird who you said has laid clutches before? My girls have larger, wetter poops before and around laying. If you think they seem different to your other hens poops in the past, then head on over to the vet. and get her looked at for some peace of mind.

As you have other birds, especially one that has laid eggs before, if you are feeling unsure or ¨scared¨, then a vet is a good idea.