• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Swollen abdomen and vent.

Lafya

Moving in
Hello.i have a ring neck parrot(5yrs)..i saw a swollen abdomen..and swollen vent,she lost all her feathers on her chest and abdomen area.she mated with her partner and not laid an egg till now in my ring neck parrot.i observed some boold along with her poop sometimes. her poop is also sticky with some white mucuous like liquid and sticks to her vent area only.her belly looks light yellowish on skin..but she acts normal and eats well..here in my area thers is no proper avian vet available for her..please kindly suggest some medication for her.im so worried for her

Last edited:

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Can you clarify - she has laid an egg? Or she has not yet laid an egg? Do you feel egg inside that hasn't been laid?

Lafya

Moving in
20220503_225001.jpg
Can you clarify - she has laid an egg? Or she has not yet laid an egg? Do you feel egg inside that hasn't been laid?
Intially we thought she was about to lay an egg..but its been 5 weeks already she didnt lay any egg..n i font feel any egg inside her abdomen.when i gently press her abdomen it feels like some liquid filled inside.

Attachments

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
here in my area thers is no proper avian vet available for her..please kindly suggest some medication for her.im so worried for her
Have to checked with other vets to inquire if they can see her, even if not avian? She really needs to see a vet. Expand your search for a vet to other areas, even if a couple hours drive.

Until she can get to vet, you can try epsom salt soaks to help. That looks very painful.

Are you cleaning her with something? What is all over her feathers?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
The symptoms she is exhibiting are very serious. She will need to see a vet, asap. If you do not have access to an avian vet you may be able to get advice from on online vet service.

This website may help you find someone nearby your location. Or at least an accredited online avian vet.

Lafya

Moving in
Have to checked with other vets to inquire if they can see her, even if not avian? She really needs to see a vet. Expand your search for a vet to other areas, even if a couple hours drive.

Until she can get to vet, you can try epsom salt soaks to help. That looks very painful.

Are you cleaning her with something? What is all over her feathers?
I visited many vets..im from india..here no vet cannot able to identify whats the exact problem.im trying my best to reach every vet..n im also asking abroad vets n caring vet parents.yes im cleaning her vent daily her overall feathers are good..but she lost feathers only on abdomen n vent area..its her x ray that we've got.they said that abdomen is filled wid fluid..juz gave her vitamin supplement and a normal antibiotic powder.its doesnt show any improvement

Attachments

Last edited:

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
Could the vet that did the xray drain some fluid to make her more comfortable?

Is she having breathing difficulties? Trouble moving around?

I know in chickens, water in abdominal area is usually ascites (water belly), resulting from liver damage. And the prognosis is bleak. I am not saying that is what is going on here, however.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Lafya

The x-ray you provided is from 2013. I am confused as to how it is relevant to your current ill bird.

Unfortunately in the forum space we are unable to provide professional medical advice. Please do what you can to consult a remote or online vet about the current state of your bird. She is in a bad way and she needs your help. I wish I could do more for you, but you really need to take the lead on this and get to a professional.

Lafya

Moving in
Yes
@Lafya

The x-ray you provided is from 2013. I am confused as to how it is relevant to your current ill bird.

Unfortunately in the forum space we are unable to provide professional medical advice. Please do what you can to consult a remote or online vet about the current state of your bird. She is in a bad way and she needs your help. I wish I could do more for you, but you really need to take the lead on this and get to a professional.
Yes..im doing all i can..x ray is not from 2013 it was took recently.i think they didnt update the date in machine.

Lafya

Moving in
Could the vet that did the xray drain some fluid to make her more comfortable?

Is she having breathing difficulties? Trouble moving around?

I know in chickens, water in abdominal area is usually ascites (water belly), resulting from liver damage. And the prognosis is bleak. I am not saying that is what is going on here, however.
No he did nothing just gave me some antibiotic powder..even yesterday too i visited a normal vet..not an avian..it makes me angry about this sorry state of vets in my area..

Lafya

Moving in
..nichole65 tq for your concern.Her condition is same ..she is not showing any sickness or anything..but that white substance is leaking from her vent and poop too get stick on her vent only..

Lafya

Moving in
Guys please help my parrot..she is in so much pain..it hurts me alot seeing her in that condition and cannot able to do anything..please if any parrot parent has faced the same situation as my parrot..please let me know how to cure it and which medicine to use..here in my state..no avian vet and rest all just manipulating her condition with some regular supplements and anitibiotics..i have used them but no result..please help me guys..

Feathery

Real Name
Nichole
I'm sorry to hear your bird is still having trouble.

As previously explained by others, no one here can direct you on how to treat her. She needs to see a vet and get a proper diagnosis and medical treatment.

It has been nearly 3 weeks since your initial post and you indicated it had already been 5 weeks prior to that when her condition started. That is 2 months of pain and suffering for your bird. If you cannot get her access to appropriate care, it is cruel to let her continue to suffer if she's in a great deal of pain. But that is just MHO.