• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

switching millet + treat sticks.

honey_chan

Moving in
Real Name
Jessie
at the moment, i'm using hartz millet sprays for my little birb, but i want to change the brand of millet because i've heard some pretty suspicious stuff about them and i really want to make sure that it won't make his little tummy upset if i do change the brand plus, i've been wondering if those treat sticks are okay for him because i've heard some mixed information about them.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Is the millet the main food you're giving? You really should move away from that to a balanced seed/pellet/fruit/veg diet. Millet is best reserved as a treat to aid training/taming. Best to not use those treat sticks at all, they're just fatty seeds coated with sugar.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Millet sticks are loaded with honey and birds do not need that much sugar. Ripshod is right on with saving millet seed for special treats and only fed on occasion. Jessie I don t know where you live but there are many brands of bird seed of higher quality than Hartz. Goldenfeast, Dr. Harvey are two of them. You will not find them in a pet store but on line.

honey_chan

Moving in
Real Name
Jessie
Is the millet the main food you're giving? You really should move away from that to a balanced seed/pellet/fruit/veg diet. Millet is best reserved as a treat to aid training/taming. Best to not use those treat sticks at all, they're just fatty seeds coated with sugar.
millet isn't the main part of his diet! little guy usually gets a spray whenever he's out in the living room and sitting on my father! and thank you for the advice! no treat sticks for memphis :o:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have cockatiels and I give them a little bit of millet spray every day. As long as they are also eating other things I think it's fine. The problem is sometimes birds will just eat millet spray if given the option. And often people like to save it for training since little birds like it so much. Lately, I've been buying Kaytee millet spray just because that's been easiest for me to get but there are a lot of good brands out there. Treat sticks, as mentioned, have a lot of sugar, etc so probably not the best. Little birds often like nutriberries. That might be something for you to look into if you want to substitute out the treat sticks with something.

honey_chan

Moving in
Real Name
Jessie
I have cockatiels and I give them a little bit of millet spray every day. As long as they are also eating other things I think it's fine. The problem is sometimes birds will just eat millet spray if given the option. And often people like to save it for training since little birds like it so much. Lately, I've been buying Kaytee millet spray just because that's been easiest for me to get but there are a lot of good brands out there. Treat sticks, as mentioned, have a lot of sugar, etc so probably not the best. Little birds often like nutriberries. That might be something for you to look into if you want to substitute out the treat sticks with something.
thank you sm!!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna