• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

(SWITCHING DIET)How does this pellet/seed ratio look?!

Newbird789

Moving in
Real Name
Jonah Allen
7A672143-2DA0-4C48-A6D2-B3B37EA3ABC0.jpeg I am switching from a seed diet to a pellet/seed/veggie diet. How does this pellet/seed ratio look for a cockatiel, (besides veggie).(taking any tips on any subject)

Newbird789

Moving in
Real Name
Jonah Allen
I hope I didn't add to many seeds..., I have broccoli, celery, carrots, ETC.(in food dish)

Newbird789

Moving in
Real Name
Jonah Allen
No he was on a seed diet but I got educated and switched for what's best for him. I just switched yesterday, what should the seeds to pellet ratio look like

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It’s not as simple as simply switching- your bird may not recognise pellets as food which is very common. It takes some people years to get their birds to eat pellets. We have had people come here with a bird who has lost so much weight and is essentially starving because they just switched food- you’ll need to introduce your bird to pellets and actually ensure it will eat them before cutting down the seeds offered. Keep in mind that tiels still need a decent amount of seed.
Hopefully @Mizzely will link some helpful information for you and @sunnysmom and @Tiel Feathers will give you some help too.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You will get different answers from different people :) Most people I know say they give their cockatiels an even amount of seeds to pellets. So 1 tbsp of pellets to 1 tbsp seeds, as an example.

They may not eat them right away. Here are some tips: Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Tiels are seed birds in nature & can have seed. All pellet diets can actually tax the organs of some birds.
Try to find a pellet your tiel likes. Mine would eat Harrisons hi pro fine.
My advice is to treat the pellets as a treat & offer in a separate dish or first thing in the morning without seeds.
A hungry bird is more likely to try the unknown & often times if it is presented separately it gets there interest.
Mixing it right away will most likely result in your bird picking out what it wants & ignoring the pellet.

Sure you'll get good ideas & see what works.

You can also try moistening the pellets with small amount of juice or apple sauce or mis them in the veggie medley.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I feed about 50% seeds, 15% pellets and the rest vegetables to my tiels. They can be stubborn. It too me probably 4 months of trying every day to get my first tiel to eat vegetables. Eventually, he loved them. My current tiels love freeze dried vegetables and took to them right away. You just might need to experiment a little with different sizes, kinds etc of vegetables

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@sunnysmom. Try 5 years of trying convert my little stinker to even ratio seeds / pellets / veggies.
The one tip that I can offer is this, use something like tropimix to their veggies. I put tropimix into his bento boxes as one layer. Here's a link: Video - Birdy Bento Boxes

Jet17

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joann
I feed about 50% seeds, 15% pellets and the rest vegetables to my tiels. They can be stubborn. It too me probably 4 months of trying every day to get my first tiel to eat vegetables. Eventually, he loved them. My current tiels love freeze dried vegetables and took to them right away. You just might need to experiment a little with different sizes, kinds etc of vegetables
Where do you get freeze dried vegis

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My cockatiel will not eat vegetables
This is a link to our vendors. Sunnysmom listed in the post above the two vendors that make and sell freeze dried foods