• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Swings?

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
Hi all!

I just have a somewhat basic question. Why do my budgies love swings so much?

They are wild ladies and I couldn't get them in their cage at night. Then I bought a couple of swings and since then they put themselves to bed and stare around until I cover them up and turn out the lights.

Is it just comforting like a branch swaying in the breeze?

People have said to me that a swing is the last thing they would think a bird would want to sleep on.

Thanks! 20221001_193156.jpg

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Most parrots seem to like swings. I think it's a nature thing, like a tree branch moving.

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I think it's a both a soothing thing they can use to fall asleep AND something that gives them crazy rides when they're in a more playful mood!

Winn

Jogging around the block
Maybe it IS the "swaying branch" thing.
Regardless, if your birdies are happy with it there's nothing to question.
I have multiple perches... Some move (swing) some don't. My birds choose where they want to settle in for the night. They don't usually choose a specific perch.
If the swings make your birds happy then don't question it! You're doing something right by offering them that option...

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Good question. Not all do but the ones that do seem to really like them. As has been said it could be calming for them or be a good interactive toy that gives them good balancing practice. No matter the reason, if they like them so be it...lol.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine seem to either love them or disregard them - no in between.

Aurelius really likes his moon swing. He's the most into swings of mine. Moss adored them & when he died Cloud took to periodically neurotically swinging on his abandoned swing. It's a very unsoothing, jagged rythym. He does it to this day, poor baby, & complains while he does so. I still think he misses his buddy.

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
It is super cute and super soothing. I can't imagine a more relaxing end to my day than two tiny girls swinging slowly and cracking their beaks.

Perfect!

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
It could be that it almost mimicks what happens in nature, as the tree branches move from the wind. It might be a natural instinct, because Im guessing your budgies werent wild caught :)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Fergus and Fiona haven't swung (swang? swinged?) :laugh: since they were young. I may put another 'swang' in there to see if they wish to participate in their 5th year - they used to LOVE them!

sophieb821

Strolling the yard
Sometimes my parrot trying to swing herself back and forth on them ‍♀

Winn

Jogging around the block
My "swinging perches".. big grapevine "boing", small grapevine "boing", swing, t-perch with bell, cross perch with shredder husks, triple hoop swing perch.. IMG_20221012_195405.jpg IMG_20221012_195738.jpg IMG_20221012_195509.jpg IMG_20221012_200504.jpg IMG_20221012_195500.jpg IMG_20221012_200544.jpg triple circle perches ...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Kind of like a human in a rocking chair. Gentle motion.