• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sweet Potato

Status
Not open for further replies.

pga7602

Jogging around the block
I bought some sweet potato and mushed it up after cooking for 20 minutes. I tasted tested it myself, and it's yum yum good. My question is..why isn't my grey eating it? I tried tricking him by putting some sunflower seeds in the bowl. he would go for the seed and shake his beak till the sweet potatoe is all over the floor.

I guess my grey hates it?

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
Is this the first time he has ever had sweet potato? Is there any food that he does like that you can mix the sweet potato into? Have you tried putting it in birdy bread?
That is how I got my fids to eat sweet potatoes, I put them in the birdy bread, mashed up!:)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
some times it takes them to get use to a new food you just need to keep trying:hug8:

Sarin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
It takes Koba a few tries to get her to try new things. I find it is the texture that puts them off.... But everytime I start eating it and acting like it's MINE and it's GOOD she's all for it!

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I tried giving Squeeky sweet potato baby food and he said no way. Next I am going to try fresh sweet potato.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
Strawberry loves dried fruit and veggies while Goofy ignores them. Goofy loves fresh veggies (friut not so much) while Strawberry ignores. Go figure.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Mine wouldn't eat sweet potato till I started sprinkling unsalted sesame seeds on it :)

Nelson & Gang

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Most birds will be more willing to try new foods if they see us eating them 1st ... making a large production when doing so also peaks their attention & gets them wanting to try what we have ... or gets them more inquisitive about what we are doing.

On other occassions, they are just more picky and it make take several times of being offered before any effort is made to try a new food (of any kind). Just keep trying.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Mine just eat what they fancy on the day. Sometimes make a meal of it and other times just ignore it. Talk about spoilt brats!:rofl:

pga7602

Jogging around the block
Thanks guys, I'll just keep trying. You are right, I did it last night and it was our first time trying the sweet potato. I'll also mix more sunflowers in instead of just topping it off.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My birds wont eat sweetpotatoe mushed up unless it is in the consistency of baby bird formula, which I just add blended veggies to the sweetpotatoe, mash it up, make it like baby bird formula, and then handfed my birds.

Otherwise, I just cut them into 1" thick pieces and cut them up and BOIL them, and then serve them like that.

My birds will not eat it mashed.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Mercedez, i feed it in small cubes here too...they won't touch it mashed.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Cookie will only eat it raw.. i have to get her to eat it Cooked..

Be persistant! give it to him every day for a little while until he gets used to it. it took a few weeks for Cookie. you might be wasting some for awhile, but it will be worth it in the end..

Now if only i could get Cookie to eat any other veggie besides sweet taters...

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You might try sweet potato cubes on a skewer, some birds like that hanging from their cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.