• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sweet Old Macaw

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
This isn't related to any of my babies, but something we deal with at the store. We have 2 macaws that have been boarding with us for over 2 years. We do sometimes get long-term boarders but it's usually a few months at a time, not years. First, it was... oh we had something happen at home and the birds need to be out of the house while it's repaired. Then some other thing happened and they need to stay longer. Oh, we're going to travel and they can stay there while we're gone. Now it's, we're just not ready to have them home yet. We'll pick them up at the end of July, then it was December, then July of the next year. It's been more than 2 years. They come in or call once a month to pay the bill, but they don't visit the birds. One of them is in his 60s and started declining a few months ago. We've given him supplements and high-energy foods to keep his weight up, but he's an old bird. He's had a long and good life, but now he's dying. The owner finally came to see him one-day last week and only because we called them and said they needed to come to see him because he wouldn't be with us for more than another week if they were lucky. They sat there and made a big production with their tears over a bird they haven't seen in 2 years and then they left with no instructions or plans for what to do when he does pass.

This morning we moved him from a large macaw cage into a double stack cage that is safer for him. We padded the bottom and removed the toys so they don't block him if he moves around. He's stopped drinking and eats very little during the day. At this point, all we can do is make him comfortable. We discussed one of us taking him home tonight so he can pass quietly with someone by his side but the travel itself would probably kill him. Taking him to the vet for humane euthanasia is no longer an option because he would most likely pass before we got there, and the owner hasn't given us permission to do so. I'm heartbroken that we're going to lose such a sweet bird, and I'm trying not to be judgemental over this, but they haven't visited these birds in over 2 years, and I'm really angry about it. I expect he will pass sometime during the night, but at least he's in a familiar space and surrounded by birds that he knows. It's going to make for a difficult day.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd bird passed sitting on my arm in my room at the computer desk with me, one of his favorite spots to hang out. He knew I was there and looked at me through his mostly closed eyes till he left me. It tore me up but I was happy he wasn't alone and knew he was safe and loved to the end.
I can't believe people just walk away from their family members and companions like that. They deserve to be with their people to help them over the bridge.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww poor sweetie. That´s very sad.

It´s nice to know that he does have you and your colleague looking over him, caring for him, and loving him.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Their passing is NEVER easy for anyone, especially those who REALLY CARE... At least he is not stuck in a cage somewhere, alone with his needs ignored.

I was offered a macaw several years back... The man dearly loved his bird, but the wife could NOT take the noise and everything else that comes w/ a bird that size. Since I had NO room for his baby, I connected him up w/ a friend who was able to take the macaw in. And allowed the man to come in to visit, and hang out for hours.
Better that life than ignored and left in a cage to die.
Thank you so much for your tender heart and compassion ...

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That makes me angry, too. I'm sorry that you and everyone who works there are having to experience this. Just know that precious senior bird knows that you and those who *are* around him love him.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
You have such a big heart to give this bird a nice peaceful end knowing he was loved at least by you. Thank you for being there for this bird. One of the hardest things about being a part of an animals life is saying goodbye and some people have a really hard time handling it. My thought is if you can't deal with the end, don't own a pet. Thank you for being there when the owners will not (or cannot). One thing I would consider is adding a statement to your agreement that allows you to authorize euthanasia if needed so that you can legally do what is best in the absence of the owner. You would need to have the statement checked by an attorney and you would certainly want to try to attempt to get the owners involved.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The owner talked to the lawyer about a clause in the boarding contract that would permit euthanasia in very extreme cases and I think he strongly discouraged it. Instead, the contract states that in case of injury or such the bird would go to our preferred avian vet, unless the owner states otherwise, and those health care decisions are then made between the owner and the vet. It removes us from the equation and puts it solely on the owner to make that decision. This is a different case because he's not a sick bird, he's just very old and his death is a natural process. Unfortunately, our boarding contract doesn't cover this type of situation so our hands are tied by the owner's wishes. That doesn't make it any easier on us because we come to love these birds as if they were our own. We know that we've provided the best environment and the best diet we could while he was with us. It's a small comfort knowing that his passing isn't caused by some horrible injury or disease. He's just old and this is a natural end to his life. It still sucks.

I just looked at the camera in the boarding room and he's still sitting there on his perch. I didn't expect him to make it through the night, so I'll be surprised if he makes it through the day. It's going to be very difficult for whoever is assigned to clean that room today. Thanks for all of your kind words. It's going to make a rough day a little easier.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry this is happening & appreciate that you are trying not to judge. It is, IMO, better than many a bird gets being rehomed online or dumped indifferently at a rescue. They probably feel they are being responsible by paying people to do what they are unwilling to (care for him).

That said, the drama you describe is sketchy. In deference to the staff, they ought to have restrained themselves, even if the sight of him brought back a flood of legitimate, not feigned, long ago memories of an emotional attachment, which is possible. People are selfish; perhaps the tears were for them, perhaps not & they were for their bird's youth, or something else. We can't really tell.

Macaws live a very long time. Even some budgies do, though not as long. I wish people would thorougly consider lifespan when acquiring any animal.

:grouphug3: Hugs to the staff. This is definitely a no good solution situation.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Trying very hard not to judge but basically I would consider that bird to be abandoned by the owner. You visit the bird once in awhile, you talk the place where bird is being boarded once a month and you pay boarding fees. To me, JMHO that is abandonment.
That poor macaw. At least he/she knows that you and the staff love and care for him/her. Make the last days the best lots of love and gentle care.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor old man. Thank you for looking after him for so long, and providing care and love in his last days. I hope his end is as calm and peaceful as it can be.

I hope your staff are okay: it's such a difficult experience to lose someone, even when that someone has lived a long and (I hope) fulfilling life.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our sweet old man went home with his owner today. The store owner called her and said he had less than 24 hours left and she had better come to see him. She decided to take him home so he could spend what time he has left with her. The poor bird didn't even recognize her and gave a feeble honk when she tried to pick him up. He no longer had the strength to step from the branch to a hand or arm so the boss gently lifted him out of the cage. We got him set up in this little carrier/cage with padding under him and food dishes within reach. While we did that, she chatted about inane things in her life that were completely irrelevant to her bird. Maybe the idle chatter is her way of coping or compartmentalizing her feelings. I couldn't take it anymore so I walked away. As I was going through the smaller boarding room one of the girls grabbed me and said I needed a hug. I said we both did so we stood there and cried. No longer being in the store will make his passing easier on us when it does happen, and maybe being at home will make it easier on him as well. Their other bird remains at the store and hasn't seen his owners in over 2 years. I'm going to have to work on my anger over that.

We don't see many macaws in their 60s, but I'm glad I could get to know this old guy.

IMG_8310.jpg

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
That's so sad but maybe he'll remember them and be happy to be home after so long away in his short time left. Nerd bird was like that at the end and we all did what we could for him but it was probably just his time.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope that sweet old man gets some comfort by being with his owner and his old home. May his passing be peaceful and painless…I’m just so sorry for the whole situation.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He´s a beautiful bird. May his final journey be a peaceful one.

Sending big hugs to you and your co-worker. It can´t be easy to have to deal with this happening to a bird you´ve grown fond of, loved and cared for.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's a very handsome boy. I hope he finds peace being with his family in his final days. Thank you and your staff for loving him.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I'm happy but still sad too. Maybe he will remember what home was. But because he has been with you all, maybe not. May he have peace love in his final days