• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suspected PBFD

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@Hankmacaw
It isn’t up to me. We don’t have lab or psychologist in this town to do so. However the vet said she can do culture. Then probably need to send to the university 2.5hrs flight away
I would definitely do the culture. So far treatment with Baytril is a guessing game with no conclusive course of treatment ,if needed at all.

BigMacWonder

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
@Just-passn-thru
THANK YOU!! I will definitely laminate it!! No kidding.
I did feel the energy is a bit, very slightly off ... here and there. It was very very subtle. I am a paranoia pet mom. I kept telling myself, don’t jumps observe first! The sad thing is, it’s always after it happened then only we could see the signs.. like what happened to my Elmo boy. I couldn’t forgive myself that I didn’t see it.

BigMacWonder

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
The texts were from an avian vet in an university, 2.5hr flight away.
I will have the local vet to do the culture and we will send to the lecturer in the uni.

She didn’t pick since yesterday. A dude from doing the test. I really hope she will stop picking and the whole thing goes away...

Attachments

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@Just-passn-thru
THANK YOU!! I will definitely laminate it!! No kidding.
I did feel the energy is a bit, very slightly off ... here and there. It was very very subtle. I am a paranoia pet mom. I kept telling myself, don’t jumps observe first! The sad thing is, it’s always after it happened then only we could see the signs.. like what happened to my Elmo boy. I couldn’t forgive myself that I didn’t see it.

It's hard to tell with birds. I know the feeling of not catching symptoms early on. We do the best we can at the time.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not criticizing the vet to be mean, I'm just pointing out a concerning lack of expertise that means other opinions and resources will need to be sought out in whatever way possible. Sure, it's understandable that the vet may not have this experience. But the fact that it's understandable doesn't help the bird.

Considering that you had another bird in your household die of intestinal parasites, I think it's even more important to rule out giardia. A bird can carry giardia for a long time before developing symptoms. Sometimes feather mutilation is the first or only symptom.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
The texts were from an avian vet in an university, 2.5hr flight away.
I will have the local vet to do the culture and we will send to the lecturer in the uni.

She didn’t pick since yesterday. A dude from doing the test. I really hope she will stop picking and the whole thing goes away...

That would be the best choice, this will eliminate all doubts. And proceed with the proper course of treatment. You may find out that you're bird is not sick. And the feather plucking could be environmental.

BigMacWonder

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
She probably sensed stress that I have .

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
She probably sensed stress that I have .
That too.. birds are very empathic, they sense the energy in their environment. Has there been a lot of changes in your home or routine. Keeping a calm consistency to her routine may be helpful. Try misting her feathers. Does she like showers, this may help. Macaws come from a climate that is high humidity. Is her environment dry. This could be another cause of the picking.

BigMacWonder

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
where were are , it’s high humidity. Although we like to stay in AC room a bit too much though.

Maybe I should use less AC in the bird room too?

BigMacWonder

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
She likes shower on her own terms. Hehehehe

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Is she with the family life or kept isolated? Birds need to be with the flock/family. They are social creatures.

BigMacWonder

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
She has her out of cage play time in the afternoon. Not out for the whole day though.

BigMacWonder

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anne
I used to keep her company in the bird room though... now I am too busy so only afternoon play time for two hours, at least. Most of the days are from 1.30pm to 5pm

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I would start at the beginning.

Bird started plucking.

First vet trip for CBC, chem panel, fecal gram stain. If clear..

What changed that could have caused plucking? Foods/water for allergy? Cage change/routine change for stress? Did the heat kick on in the house? Cleaning products/Shampoo carpets, air changes? Think of everything. If clear...

Back to the vet for specific tests.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I used to keep her company in the bird room though... now I am too busy so only afternoon play time for two hours, at least. Most of the days are from 1.30pm to 5pm
Did she start plucking after you got too busy. You have to play detective when she started plucking.