• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suspected Broken Blood Feather Help (With Additional Issues Due To Recently Passed Away Partner)

ASmallBirb

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone!

So, first thing, a quick little hello again! I was on this forum a little bit a few years back, but then got busy, and didn't use it for so long that I forgot I even had an account XD But I am very glad to be back now!

Now, to the bigger point at hand here:

My two and a bit year old Budgie, Pikachu (I also call him Peep for short, so if I say Peep, Im referring to him), was left alone for a bit while I was dealing with something, and then I came back to him covered in blood! I got him out and surveyed the problem. It's pretty messy but im almost 100% sure that he managed to break a blood feather whilst preening or something.

Im sitting with him now, and the bleeding has stopped. But the broken feather is, from what I can see, still at least partially connected, so, of course, he keeps messing with it in annoyance. It's getting late now, and he needs to go to bed, and I'll have to go to bed soon too. Because I'm worried he might keep messing around with the feather in the night and cause himself to bleed out, I plan to put a timer on and keep checking on him, so that if he does cause himself to bleed again I can get him out and stop the bleeding. Is that over reacting?

Another additional piece of info surrounding Peep's current state is that my other two year old budgie, Loki, passed away suddenly six days ago. We used to refer to the two of them as brothers, as they were close and had spent practically all of their lives up until now living together, so Pikachu is in a state of grief at the moment (we both are really... r.i.p Loki my little angel ️), so I'm very on edge surrounding my little Peep's health right now. I hope he wasn't plucking fresh feathers out on purpose in reaction to depression, but I'm probably just overreacting and it's just a regular freak accident blood feather.

We took pikachu to our vet on Monday (the appointment was originally for Loki, as that was the earliest we could get an avian vet to take him... but obviously... he didn't make it to that appointment ) and got some tests run to make sure he didn't catch anything from Loki that would cause him to become ill also, and the tests that were run all came up negative which is great. We've got another appointment for next Monday (as that is again the nearest time we can book for) because a day or so ago we were woried he was getting sick to, despite the tests, but watching him over the past few days, we believe it's actually just him being emotionally unpredictable because of grieving. Were going to keep the vet appointment though, to check him over again, to check the feather and to ask what we should do about getting him safely washed off (as the blood is in a bit of an awkward place to clean without us being fully sure how to safely do so, and Peep has never been good with taking baths. I hope he manages to have a bath on his own so he can stop looking so much like a mess, but I doubt it, as he is terrible with baths were still working on it).

I'm just making this thread to collect some advice. Advice on his current blood feather issue, advice of budgie loneliness/grieving/depression and everything else you might feel would be good for me to hear about is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you so, so much for reading this!!!! ❤❤❤

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Depending on how comfortable you are handling birds, you could pull the blood feather if it starts bleeding again. Otherwise I’d leave it be and keep an eye on him.

If Pikachu is handleable, you could wet a clean washcloth and wipe the areas covered with dried blood gently in direction of feather growth.

Another option is to put a bowl of water in his cage and maybe add a few lettuce leaves. He might choose to bathe in it.

Are you going to get Pikachu a friend or is he going to be a lone budgie? While he’s alone, he could use some extra attention and time. A mirror might help him to be less lonely. I’m more worried about loneliness/ grief than about Pikachu getting fixated on the mirror right now.

ASmallBirb

Meeting neighbors
Depending on how comfortable you are handling birds, you could pull the blood feather if it starts bleeding again. Otherwise I’d leave it be and keep an eye on him.

If Pikachu is handleable, you could wet a clean washcloth and wipe the areas covered with dried blood gently in direction of feather growth.
I don't think that I am confident enough to pull out the feather myself, so unless its an emergency, I'll hold off on that and just keep my eyes on it until he goes to our Vet on Monday so they can deal with what is left of the feather.

He's sort of in an awkward spot in handalability at the moment, as he can be handled somewhat, but he's too flighty for washing him off right now. Also, I've woken up this morning to him having managed to clean himself of quite a bit (though he still refuses to take a proper bath) so that's a good thing.

Thank you so much for the help!!! :) ❤❤❤

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If he has a broken blood feather you do not want to be washing him incase it knocks the blood clot out, he should take care of a lot of the dried blood himself (except staining of course). I’d wait till after you’ve seen your vet and just let him be a bit messy till then.