• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Surrendered

Heather773

Moving in
Real Name
Heather Bowling
I’m looking for any hawkheads or other large birds of interest that are being surrendered…. I’m in Missouri and I know there are avian sanctuaries in Missouri but I’m more then the 150 miles that they require for adoption processes. I have the availability to care for them + the experience & knowledge on multiple breeds to supply them with everything they’d want/need on a monthly basis. Plus I can access emergency funds shoul they happen to need it…., however I have many rescources for vet care locally even one that will come to my home… not to mention the nursing exp & know how to do a lot of things myself.
We have a great pet store & breeder locally again money up front & because of my experience passion + age I’d rather rescue one then buy one that’s brand new (baby). Please guide me.

LexBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
-Lex-
Welcome! Good luck! I'm sorry but I don't live in Kansas and i don't know what you should do, :welcomegroup:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m looking for any hawkheads or other large birds of interest that are being surrendered…. I’m in Missouri and I know there are avian sanctuaries in Missouri but I’m more then the 150 miles that they require for adoption processes. I have the availability to care for them + the experience & knowledge on multiple breeds to supply them with everything they’d want/need on a monthly basis. Plus I can access emergency funds shoul they happen to need it…., however I have many rescources for vet care locally even one that will come to my home… not to mention the nursing exp & know how to do a lot of things myself.
We have a great pet store & breeder locally again money up front & because of my experience passion + age I’d rather rescue one then buy one that’s brand new (baby). Please guide me.
Large birds of interest?

Jessiemay

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Jessie
I think my Hawkhead was a rare case of being a rescue, from what I've heard that is infrequent due to their rarity in the US. Good luck! Mine is a handful, but coming around. He loves to play and is very entertaining, I think he's finally warming up to me after about 9 months.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
What are “other large birds of interest?”

I don’t know how much luck you’ll have in a rescue - like Jessimay said, they’re pretty rare to begin with, and even more rare to see surrendered. Would this be your first large bird?

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
What are “other large birds of interest?”

I don’t know how much luck you’ll have in a rescue - like Jessimay said, they’re pretty rare to begin with, and even more rare to see surrendered. Would this be your first large bird?
I think I saw one for adoption in like colorado. :cautious:

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
How far south are you? If you're in northern/eastern Missouri I'd suggest checking out the Iowa Parrot Rescue, as they're in southeastern Iowa and will occasionally do out of state adoptions if they can make a home visit to wherever you are. I've been volunteering at the rescue for 7+ years and we have never seen a hawkhead come through, as others have said they're quite uncommon in the United States. There are tons of parrots (60+ last time I was there) of varying species at the Iowa parrot rescue, however, so if you could visit and perhaps be open to other species that would be a great place to go.

Heather773

Moving in
Real Name
Heather Bowling
How far south are you? If you're in northern/eastern Missouri I'd suggest checking out the Iowa Parrot Rescue, as they're in southeastern Iowa and will occasionally do out of state adoptions if they can make a home visit to wherever you are. I've been volunteering at the rescue for 7+ years and we have never seen a hawkhead come through, as others have said they're quite uncommon in the United States. There are tons of parrots (60+ last time I was there) of varying species at the Iowa parrot rescue, however, so if you could visit and perhaps be open to other species that would be a great place to go.
Thank you so Much, I’ll look it up. I’m about 30-40 min from the four corners in Springfield Mo- honestly I’m wanting a bigger Parrot then what I already have I think my wish list is pretty large and so is my heart. I honestly fall head over heels for all sorts of Parrots- I just need an endless pot of $ room, help lol and my own sanctuary here that’s handicapped accessible for me to operate lol. B3AB75E2-AC03-48D9-8BCB-CD3D31E1C062.jpeg Nigel

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I understand the MBS that strikes :roflmao:

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Thank you so Much, I’ll look it up. I’m about 30-40 min from the four corners in Springfield Mo- honestly I’m wanting a bigger Parrot then what I already have I think my wish list is pretty large and so is my heart. I honestly fall head over heels for all sorts of Parrots- I just need an endless pot of $ room, help lol and my own sanctuary here that’s handicapped accessible for me to operate lol. View attachment 416356 Nigel View attachment 416358 olivia and Mr Buttons (cat)
Just a friendly reminder of AA rules regarding photos of birds with predatory animals.

"Please do not post photos of birds in dangerous situations. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions on bird care. We are here to educate and help each other do the best we can do for the birds' best interest. This may bring up discussions on topics such as birds & other pets. Over the years we have seen many of these situations become losses. As Avian Avenue is a close community of people, we take those losses as our own. To educate and bring awareness of these potentially deadly opportunities we ask that you do not post photos of any birds in dangerous situations. This may include:
  • Photos with predatory animals such as dogs, cats, ferrets, etc. It just takes a split second for an accident to happen even with very well behaved cats and dogs who are taken by surprise. Cat saliva can be deadly to birds. Saliva toxins can kill within a matter of minutes or a few days. Scratches and bites from both cats and dogs and other animals can cause severe injury and/or death.

Be aware that dogs and cats who have been fine for years showing no interest in your birds can change as they get older. Please do not become lulled into a false sense of security. Cats and dogs can react unexpectedly for many reasons when least expected. It is your responsibility to protect your flock.

Also be aware of the potential danger to the other animals in your household. A bird's bite can inflict serious damage to another animal and in the worse case scenario can result in death. Please be careful, Roadies. It is your responsibility to keep all your beloved pets safe."

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Thank you so Much, I’ll look it up. I’m about 30-40 min from the four corners in Springfield Mo- honestly I’m wanting a bigger Parrot then what I already have I think my wish list is pretty large and so is my heart. I honestly fall head over heels for all sorts of Parrots- I just need an endless pot of $ room, help lol and my own sanctuary here that’s handicapped accessible for me to operate lol. View attachment 416356 Nigel View attachment 416358 olivia and Mr Buttons (cat)
I understand! If I had endless time and resources I would have wayyy too many birds lol I love them so much