• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SURPRISE.. now to figure out the mutation

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
We have a Surprise with Mango & Kiwi (Lovebirds) baby

Mango is a Edged Dilute Split to Lutino Male, Kiwi is a Normal Green Female

So with that outcome the only mutations we should get are Lutino Females, and Normal greens
well this clutch threw us a surprise there are 4 babies.. Youngest is not feathering Yet so not sure what it'll be but it looks like it's going to be dark so i'm guessing Green....... Oldest 2 are Green...... but what is baby 3?? IT IS YELLOW but not a LUTINO AT ALL

so Mama must be hiding something

I'm wondering if it's not an Edged Dilute like dad... if so that means Mama is Split to Edged Dilute and I won't have to search for a Edged Dilute Female after all to put with Mango :D

1st pic is of baby 3 and 4 (taken today 11-28-09)
baby 3 is 22 days old , Baby 4 is 20 days old

2nd pic is the 3 oldest (taken today)
in order of appearance
Baby 3-22 days old, Baby 1-26 days old Baby 2(under the brown thing) -24 days old

3rd Pic Baby 1 and 3 (taken today)

4th and 5th pics are of Baby 1 and 2 and were taken on 11-24-09 and they were 22 days old and 20 days old

Last pic is Mango(bottom) Kiwi (top)

Attachments

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I am not an expert on mutations, but we have the most gorgeous latino lovebird at the rescue with a violet back/tail. Hope the little yellowish one turns out like her. :)

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Nice babies...

The one baby looks like some type of cinnamon

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I am not an expert on mutations, but we have the most gorgeous latino lovebird at the rescue with a violet back/tail. Hope the little yellowish one turns out like her. :)
Lutinos are pure yellow with a peach face and Red eyes? the only time any color comes out with Pugsley is when a light hits the certain way or the flash hits the right way - a bluish green tint shows up (Same with my Lutino budgies,my albino budgies get a blue tint to them in certain lights but you can't see it unless the light is hitting them just right Or the flash hit just right

Nice babies...

The one baby looks like some type of cinnamon
I didn't even think of cinnamon.. now the pot thickens LOL

won't be much longer and she/he will have more feathers and hopefully be able to tell more :) if it is cinnamon then i'll know at least one is female LOL

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison

Lutinos are pure yellow with a peach face and Red eyes? the only time any color comes out with Pugsley is when a light hits the certain way or the flash hits the right way - a bluish green tint shows up (Same with my Lutino budgies,my albino budgies get a blue tint to them in certain lights but you can't see it unless the light is hitting them just right Or the flash hit just right
Then she's not a lutino, just yellow. I don't know anything about mutations, but she is gorgeous. :rofl: I love her purple butt.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Last edited:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Kelli they are soo cute, I have no expertise in genetics in fact they freak me out. lol

I will say we need more pics and more often!! (please)

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
She actually might be a cinnamon too. She's not as bright as some of the yellow lovebirds I saw in pics. This is the closest to her (the top one). http://lovebirdcorner.bravehost.com/Lovebirds4Sale/WFVioletAmerCinnamonPied-back.jpg
But she is more yellow and her butt feathers are bright violet, not blue. She does not have a bright peach face (maybe a "white face"?)
Sorry for hijacking.
that link said linking wasn't allowed but I have a Sea Green American Cinnamon Violet Pied. her rump is Violet - doesn't show up well in pics but its there i'll add her pic in a min.

Kelli they are soo cute, I have no expertise in genetics in fact they freak me out. lol

I will say we need more pics and more often!! (please)
Lovebird genetics gives me a migraine LOL I have tiels and budgies down pat. NO where close to getting the hang of Lovebirds LOL

but I noticed the pics aren't really doing her/him justice except maybe one.. he/she is sort of a Mustard Yellow - Thats what made me think Edged Dilute - they(dad doesn't show it well either) is a funky yellowgreenish color himself

and ya' know I'm the Queen of picture taking (remember i'm the one who has already filled up a 2nd photobucket account and opened that one in August LOL)

but i'm off to search for a good pic of american cinnamon for Allison :) i'll update the baby pics when I take more - i'm sure that'll be at next feeding if they'll let me lol

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
ok here's mine I have been told 2 different things on her mutation So i still don't know exactly LOL

1 was White Face American Cinnamon Violet Pied
2 was Sea Green American Cinnamon Violet Pied

I know there's sea green in there because her mate is Dutch blue pied and I get sea greens and dutch blue pied babies. but I still think she may be a white face.. She has hardly any peach on her forehead

she's the one up front

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Absolutely NO idea what you just explained Kelli, lol, but they certainly are adorable!

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Haha! I barely have budgie genetics at a working level. All I know about the lovie babies is that they're adorable!

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
ok here's mine I have been told 2 different things on her mutation So i still don't know exactly LOL

1 was White Face American Cinnamon Violet Pied
2 was Sea Green American Cinnamon Violet Pied

I know there's sea green in there because her mate is Dutch blue pied and I get sea greens and dutch blue pied babies. but I still think she may be a white face.. She has hardly any peach on her forehead

she's the one up front

Yep, she's very similar, but a bit more yellow.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Yep, she's very similar, but a bit more yellow.
she is probably more pied than mine is - I didn't even know mine was pied until it was actually pointed out to me (yep they had to draw a line and POINT it to me LOL) but what makes mine pied is the yellow smear on top of her head and the little yellow peeking out from the sides of her wings

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I just had them out to feed them, didn't get any pics as the kids were ready for seconds before I was done feeding them but I did notice the yellow one does not have the normal black baby beak.. hers/his is a brownish tone - - So now i'm off to do some research to see if that makes a difference

I found one Lovebird forum, but so far no help lol

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
I just had them out to feed them, didn't get any pics as the kids were ready for seconds before I was done feeding them but I did notice the yellow one does not have the normal black baby beak.. hers/his is a brownish tone - - So now i'm off to do some research to see if that makes a difference

I found one Lovebird forum, but so far no help lol
it would be so much easyer if mut's were: green love bird, yellow love bird, dark green love bird :hehe: but of coures its got to be hard as poo to tell

Status
Not open for further replies.