• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Supreme 201 stainless cage, repair paint or diy?

TheBirb

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Josh
I've got an Alexandrine that is chewing the paint from her current cage & am in need of a solution but have limited funds.

The only appropriate size & wire spaced cages I can find in Australia are the Supreme 201 stainless for $1000 & the Feather land 304 for $3000, I can't find any other stainless & no aluminum at all..

Unfortunately I simply can't afford $3000 right now & would be stretching to pay $1000, my only other options are repair(s) with bird safe paint but I imagine she'll just chew that off quicker than the powdercoating or I could purchase a roll of 304 aviary wire and some bird safe raw timbers to frame it with, which will need maintenance as she chews the timbers.

I know 201 is less rust resistant but she doesn't bathe or splash in her cage so I'm thinking it shouldn't be a problem? Thoughts?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
How old is your other cage?
I’m just wondering if buying another powder coat cage would be a cheaper option if it’s likely to last.
If your other cage is still new and your bird can chip the paint it may be best to go with SS. I’ve never seen that brand here so it’s good to know there is an option other than featherland cages which are extremely expensive.
I don’t know anything about 201 SS but maybe @Jan can help with some information there. I’m only really familiar with 304 and 316 SS.

I would almost be willing to bet that making your own out of SS mesh would be cheaper but more of a head ache at the same time.

TheBirb

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Josh
The cage is just over a year old & cost me around $350 from memory but she's only started chewing the bars over the last couple of months so she could be going through new powder coated cages every few months now that it's become a thing... In which case as long as the $1000 201 stainless lasts longer than a year it'd still be cheaper, better for her health & landfill.

Yeah featherland is unfortunately out of my budget..
Definitely a pita especially sorting out the doors & trays, then aviary wire is squares & only a couple mm thick plus would require timber framing maintenance...ugh

If nobody has any experience with 201 stainless than maybe I'll have to be the guinea pig for others aha surely I'll get a year out of it :fingerscrossed:

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Have you tried changing the perches around or adding/ subtracting toys? More rope chews?
I ask since you say it's only been last couple of months... what changed?

TheBirb

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Josh
Have you tried changing the perches around or adding/ subtracting toys? More rope chews?
I ask since you say it's only been last couple of months... what changed?
She's got a constant supply of perches, wood and hanging/foot toys to chew on (utterly destroy lol) & I've changed her cage around every few weeks since I got her over a year and a half ago to keep her stimulated. I don't use rope for my birds since discovering fibres can build up in their crop.

I think it started from molting as she would rub her head feathers and thus beak against the bars which scrapes the paint & has led to chipping at the rough spots

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I pulled this off the internet as I also was curious about the stainless.

201 Stainless steel is easy to rust: 201 stainless steel has high manganese content, the surface is very bright with dark light, and the manganese content is high and easy to rust. The 304 stainless steel thermos cup contains more chromium, and the surface is matte and does not rust.

TheBirb

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Josh
I pulled this off the internet as I also was curious about the stainless.

201 Stainless steel is easy to rust: 201 stainless steel has high manganese content, the surface is very bright with dark light, and the manganese content is high and easy to rust. The 304 stainless steel thermos cup contains more chromium, and the surface is matte and does not rust.
Yeah I read that too, though 2 pages over on the same article says

"Although it is not as resistant to corrosion, it still has good corrosion protection. Type 201 stainless steel is especially helpful in cold environments, as its toughness holds up in cold weather. ... Still, it will not hold up as long in highly corrosive environments."

Other sources refer to highly corrosive environments as living seaside &/or chemical environments but some say 304 will also corrode in these environments.. Most say all stainless has better resistance than conventional steel but no mention of longevity comparisons between stainless grades though they all mention scratches/abrasions on any stainless removes the chromium oxide leading to rust which concerns me for such expensive cages with an Alexandrine wood chipper..

They do recommend 201 for things like indoor stair rails & 304 for things like sinks or window frames so no doubt 304 is better water resistance but nothing to say how long 201 will last in a normal indoor conditions without water (she doesn't splash/bathe in cage or dunk food)

It's all such a headache I'm just going to have to bite the bullet & pick