• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Support Group?

yumegami

Moving in
Anyone know of any online support group for people who've lost pets? (Preferably those like us who've literally lost pets, not who've just had a pet pass away.) I don't feel like anyone 'gets' it.

Maybe a lot of people just don't aren't that attached to their animals, but I love mine. I already have depression and losing my cockatiel has made it so much worse -- all I do is stress over if he's okay and if I'll ever find him (it's been a month already). I get panic attacks when it rains because I know thunder scares him. I look for him every day but I have nobody that's able-bodied to help me search. I'm on all the apps. I have put flyers everywhere, though most only make it three days before someone removes them. I can't give up on him, even without any sightings or sounds from him since the day he left. I know my odds are small, and I know he could be very far away by now, if alive, but I can't give up...but I don't know what's left to do, either. There's too much woodland and private property in my area to look thoroughly, all I can do is stand at boundaries and call out. My neighborhood already thinks I'm weird and I've already been told "It's just a bird." They don't understand.

Attachments

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I am so sorry you haven't been able to find him yet. Most people that don't have birds don't understand us bird people and how much we care about our feathered friends.

Have you tried putting his cage outside with food and water in it?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Cynthia & Percy has something similar set up I think to help and support those who have lost or had to rehome loved pets.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I am so sorry you lost you cockatiel. Sending good thoughts your way!

yumegami

Moving in
I am so sorry you haven't been able to find him yet. Most people that don't have birds don't understand us bird people and how much we care about our feathered friends.

Have you tried putting his cage outside with food and water in it?

Yes, tried that for over two weeks. The wind here is strong enough to keep blowing it off of my porch awning, and we have too many stray cats around for me to be comfortable leaving it on the ground (my bird never liked getting in, he liked to sit on top where he'd be a 'sitting duck'). For that same reason, I haven't put his food out for fear of him being on the ground and being attacked. I sat out beside the cage on days when I couldn't roam to freely look for him. There's fruit trees in my neighborhood and blackberry bushes -- but I don't know if he'd recognize them full sized and with leaves. There's a water fountain across the street from my neighborhood -- fenced in where a cat can't sneak up easily -- and I hope he's been getting his water there. It got down to 39 degrees at one point, but has been steadily 44 and up since. I pray every day that lasts a bit longer.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m so sorry to hear your bird is missing :(

I gifted two birds to my friend, she was in love with them but unfortunately they got out of the cage one day and both flew away, I gave her some tips and one returned. I still check the listings for found birds, even after so long.

I also have a lost bird living with me. And I still check the listings to see if there´s anyone looking for her, even after all of these years.

@Mizzely ❤

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I lost my little green cheek conure Koopa through a tear in my screen door in May 2015. I still look for her on Craigslist and still get calls about found green cheeks occasionally. It's hard not having closure. I didn't even see her escape; she got spooked by a Blue Jay and flew into the living room, which I then proceeded to turn upside down looking for her. It was at least 20 mins before I realized what happened. We were dealing with 30 MPH winds that day and she was not a strong flyer.

I had nightmares for weeks about finding her dead inside the house or that a cat or crow ate her.

Everytime I see someone being flippant about taking their bird outside without a harness or carrier, it depresses me. I'm jealous if they lose their bird and get it back, and I'm so mad if they keep taking risks. They took a chance with their bird and didn't have to deal with the heartbreak. I thought I took every precaution and got punished.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Big hugs for all!!! :grouphug::sadhug2:

yumegami

Moving in
I lost my little green cheek conure Koopa through a tear in my screen door in May 2015. I still look for her on Craigslist and still get calls about found green cheeks occasionally. It's hard not having closure. I didn't even see her escape; she got spooked by a Blue Jay and flew into the living room, which I then proceeded to turn upside down looking for her. It was at least 20 mins before I realized what happened. We were dealing with 30 MPH winds that day and she was not a strong flyer.

I had nightmares for weeks about finding her dead inside the house or that a cat or crow ate her.

Everytime I see someone being flippant about taking their bird outside without a harness or carrier, it depresses me. I'm jealous if they lose their bird and get it back, and I'm so mad if they keep taking risks. They took a chance with their bird and didn't have to deal with the heartbreak. I thought I took every precaution and got punished.
Saaaame. Before losing my bird, I never knew so many escaped or that so many people left windows open w/o screen or had their birds outside. Like, I would never! Mine got out when the cage malfunctioned just as a door was opening. I kept hoping I'd be lucky and she'd be in trees nearby, but she immediately flew out of sight/beyond my street. Every time I see a hawk I have a panic attack. Usually when she gets somewhere she isn't supposed to be, she tends to wait for me to come get her. All I can think is, somewhere, she's waiting and wondering why I'm not coming. It isn't fair at all.